We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking taxis in Tallinn

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taking taxis in Tallinn

Hi, we would like to know about the taxi situation in Tallinn. I don't want to sound rude asking about this and undermining the city's safety/culture, but would appreciate local on-the-ground input. Thanks.

The taxis are said to be unregulated, what does that mean? Is it "safe" to take Tallink taxis (that are allowed to run in the Old Town)? By "safe", I mean the taxis don't go round and round so as to make more money off the ride.

And would pre-ordering a Tallink taxi online help?

Mentioned in this post
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
11 replies to this topic
Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
181 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

Unregulated means probably that there are no official fixed fares for taxis. So every company or private taxi owner can decide about fares. Some taxis looking for foreign tourists (especially in and around old town) can ask for 10 euros or more for just starting the ride and so on. Anyway all the prices should be posted on the window of the taxi. So you can check these out before entering taxi. But it's good idea to stay away from taxis waiting outside some clubs and pubs of old town. And these highly priced taxis are happy to go round and round for long time to make you to pay tens of euros for ride what would cost some 5 euros with normal taxi.

Lot's of people are using Taxify. It's a local Uber and with this you can be more sure about your final costs.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

There used to be a Top Question about taxis but seems gone.

A good source for taxi information is the airport website which lists the good taxis. Also watch out for some using a similar name to trick.

https:/…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

I experienced no problems when travelling by taxi to and from the airport. See my trip report for further info:-

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274…

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

The taxi companies are(were) free to ask any price they wanted, which led to shady individuals honestly and legally posting outrageous rates (like €5/km) in hopes that inattentive tourists just wouldn't pay attention. Since a few years ago, that's mostly under control now, with the city posting maximum limits on taxi rates:

max €5.50 journey commencement fee

max €1.10 per kilometer

max €24.20/hour for waiting

Honest taxi companies, including high end like Tallink, have lower rates than that. Be mindful when taking a taxi from stops near touristy areas; the taxis that ask for max rates probably aren't very trustworthy regardless. There are apps such as the local Taxify or Uber that offer better rates and service.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

Thanks, all. This is helpful. When I tried to book a Takso taxi from the cruise terminal to the Old Town, the quote was 14 euros. It sounds a little high, but I guess that's inclusive of the "advance booking" cost?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,958 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

Takso is just the Estonian word for taxi. Beware of any such vague names. I stick with Tallink Takso or Tulika Takso as these are plentiful and reputable. Watch out for copycats such as 'Tallinn Takso'.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

Hi JohntheFinn, I booked it on http://www.tallinktakso.ee/en/front-page. This is the legit one? Thanks.

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

It's the legit one, but it's strange they would quote you such a high price. As you can see from the front page, their rates aren't that high, and I'm not seeing any fees for advance booking. The cruise terminal is less than 1km from the (less busy) northern edge of Old Town.

Save the receipt - which they MUST produce or by law the ride is free - if the journey really takes €14. It would be interesting to see.

Edited: 11 March 2018, 00:37
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,958 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

Why book ahead? There are always taxis waiting at the cruise terminal. Just walk to the nearest Tallink or Tulika taxi. You are not obliged to take the first taxi at the stand, as in some countries.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
181 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking taxis in Tallinn

They are probably offering a transfer with fixed price or something like this and not a real taxi price. Or it could be only quotation for maximum price for a ride with possible waiting times and so on. And you probably pay less at the end. 14 euros for this short trip seems way too expensive.

Reply to: Taking taxis in Tallinn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;