We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea kayaking, who has done this in Akaroa?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
180 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sea kayaking, who has done this in Akaroa?

We will be in Akaroa on Monday 31 December this year (cruise ship).

I came across a web site (Pohatu) offering sea kayaking, but it seems to depend on the weather. I'm not sure whether to book this tour because if the weather is bad, will we be wasting our money? How bad does the weather have to be before the kayak outing is cancelled? What is the weather normally like in late December e.g. light rain or terrible storms and winds?

It seems that we can still kayak in the sheltered Pohatu/Flea Bay if the outer coast is too rough. I'm just not sure what to do, book or not. Can anyone help with advice please.

Akaroa
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea kayaking, who has done this in Akaroa?

Don't worry. They will only cancel if the weather makes it unsafe for you (too windy, etc). Pohatu is amazing as are the couple who own/run it. Definitely worth it! Even the drive over is spectacular.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea kayaking, who has done this in Akaroa?

it is odd there is no mention of weather concellations and refunds on the website - the only mention of cancellations and refunds says to contact the opertor directly.

So that is what I would do - contact the company and make sure if the weather is unsuited to kayaking then you get a full refund of any deposit paid.

I do know of some companies (overseas, I don't know any NZ which does this) if the weather cancels a tour they will sit you in a room to watch a video of a previous tour and still charge the full tour price. So best to check first.

Best of luck :)

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
180 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea kayaking, who has done this in Akaroa?

Thanks very much for your info, appreciate it. I will contact the company.

4. Re: Sea kayaking, who has done this in Akaroa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Akaroa