We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Akaroa

Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Akaroa

Hi

Hopefully spending a day in Akaroa in December with two older teenagers (18 and 15) - can anyone suggest stuff to do? I'm loathe to go on one of the cruise's organised tours - we'd rather do our own thing (both for cost and enjoyment reasons!) so any suggestions of what we shouldn't miss would be great.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,743 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Akaroa

Without a car you are very limited - just walk around the town and enjoy the scenery & the shops!! The Giants House is fun if you are into quirky gardens. Just a short walk up hill from the BNZ. There might be a local shuttle bus during the cruise ship season that would take you to the Barrys Bay Cheese Factory.

Akaroa
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Akaroa

I'd recommend a trip out on one of the boats to see the dolphins. Some of the boats get booked out fully by the cruise ships but there are others that don't so it shouldn't be a problem to get a spot on the day. Check with the info centre when you get off the boat, they have a little kiosk at the end of the wharf. I also recommend the giants house. Or if its a hot day, just hang out at the beach.

Akaroa
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Akaroa

Going out on one of the boats is well worth it. Ranging from between 1 - 2 hours dependent on which trip you choose. Jetboat, Sailing, view or swim with the dolphins.

info@akaroajet.co.nz

info@aclasssailing.co.nz

akaroa@blackcat.co.nz

cruise@akaroadolphins.co.nz

Another great experience is to visit the local Farm Tour & they arrange transport:

info@akaroafarmtours.com

My advice is prebook before starting your cruise as you should get the trip cheaper but more importantly you will secure your spot as numbers are limited and demand is high on the cruise ship days.

I dont recommend the trip to the city as you spend 3 - 4 hours in the bus.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Akaroa

Akaroa is a very nice village with beatiful views. However it is a small village and it's sleepy nature is one of it's appeals.

NZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Akaroa

in addition to the above suggestions you could do the Pohatu penguin tour, hire kayaks, swim with dolphins. check out akaroa.com for lots of ideas.

Have fun.

California
Level Contributor
145 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in Akaroa

Personally, for my type of vacationing, I found the town to be quite boring and a waste of time. Scenic, sleepy, and not much to do but stroll around and then leave. I think there are more fun adventures in the CHC area. But everyone has their own idea of what is fun. Not a bad experience in any shape or form..just could have better spent half a day.

Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Day in Akaroa

Thanks all - as always I am in awe of how helpful people on this site are! Like the idea of hiring kayaks - I think after several days on a cruise ship we'll be glad to do something to burn off a few calories! I'll have a look on the websites suggested. We'll actually be there on Boxing Day, so fingers crossed there will be a few places open! I will try to pre-book...

Akaroa
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A Day in Akaroa

Everything will be open on Boxing Day.

Enjoy yourselves

Akaroa
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Day in Akaroa

If you are interested in kayaking, I can recommend both Pohatu and Akaroa Guided Kayaks. Definitely recommend that you book ahead though as space is limited.

Akaroakayaks.com

Pohatu.co.nz

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Day in Akaroa

We were there in march on the dawn princess and just filled in the time walking around this delightful village. There is a quirky garden in a property on the edge of town thats worth looking at.

They also had a market in one of the churches. The town has a few Art Deco buildings together with vintage cars driving around. There are eateries in the town and it was quite pleasant enjoying what this village had to offer. We will be back there in march 2013 and hope to catch one of the shuttles to Christchurch. I think you will find plenty to do.

Get answers to your questions about Akaroa