We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akaroa, New Zealand

Marco Island...
6 posts
Save Topic
Akaroa, New Zealand

We will be in Akaroa for a day January 8. What can you suggest we see.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

What are your interests and expectations? What tours are offerred by the cruise company? Do you want to take a tour in to Christchurch? Do you want to stroll around the small town?

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

Vist "The Giant's House" Short walk from the town centre, and well worth a couple of hours.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,534 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

I see you have asked similar questions in a number of NZ forums. Could I suggest that you buy a guide book on New Zealand, and decide which of the many sights would be interesting to you.

Akaroa
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

I agree, The Giants House, really different & out of it.

Also Swim with the Dolphins, or one of the boats trips on the harbour.

AkaroaDolphins.co.nz

BlackCat.co.nz

If you have not been exposed to sheep farming, this is brilliant

AkaroaFarmTours.com

There is just the one cruise ship in on the 8th but I would recommend you book your activities beforehand as places are limited on the cruise ship days and I hear that some prices when booked through the ships are inflated.

A return trip into the city will take up to 4 hours on a coach and there is not a lot to see in the city with all the demolition & construction going on from the earthquakes.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

I would not bother with the Giants House unless you really have nothing better to do. Its a trudge up a steep hill, a demand for $20/head at the gate and a wander around a garden where a mosaic hobby has gotten totally out of control. An hour and a half of my life that I will never get back.

This year on our pass through Akaroa we are hiring mountain bikes from Akaroa Adventure Centre. We get a lift to the summit of a nearby hill/mountain and I am promised "long downhill" stretches and only "shortish uphill" climbs. I reckon the description of the uphill bits are lies but we are going regardless. :)

akaroa.com/activities/akaroa-adventure-centre

In prior visits to Akaroa we have also considered the swimming with the dolphins excursion. This trip always gets good reviews. We will do it one day (when we aren't such sooks about cold water).

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

Or if you want to see penguins and seals and go sea kayaking at a marine reserve you could head over to Flea Bay. I haven't done the tour but it is a beautiful spot

http://www.pohatu.co.nz/

sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

try lunch at the old hotel in the main street...

The atmosphere of the old french village is superb and scenic. Plenty of boats to watch the dolphins or snorkel....

8. Re: Akaroa, New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Akaroa