We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiheke Car Rental?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Waiheke Car Rental?

Werented from Waiheke Auto Rentals. Despite boooking via their website a month in advance when we got off the ferry & went to their office the guy said we were an "unallocated booking" ie they had our booking but had not allocated a car. It took him (otherwise nice guy) about 5 mins to work this out. We had to carry our bags, some groceries etc for a weekend, about 200 yards on a path which then turned to gravel (not good for wheelibags!). We then met a girl behind a counter who after I got her attention away from something else served us by continuing to eat her lunch roll with one hand while tapping the computer keyboard with her other hand. The car was ok but was about a 10 year old Japanese used import with 120000kms on the clock, a bit smelly/stale inside, and a radio that didn't work on the NZ FM frequency band. I paid the extra to reduce the insurance excess to $500 from $3500 but had to laugh as I don't think the car would have been worth $3500 in the first place. I've rented cars all round the world but here I felt a bit lke they were loaning me the crown jewels. And finally we got charge for 3 days despite having the car for 48 hours. All ok but vey ordinary & you can't help but feel that "it's an island" not the mainland is an excuse to be sloppy.

Mentioned in this post
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

I have passed on your concerns to the rental company that you mention.I hope that the rest of your stay was okay.And you managed to enjoy some of the scenery etc.

Sometimes the service on the island can be a little lack luster, finding staff can be difficult.Also at this time of year our population goes from 8000 permanent resident to 25,000 for the summer period , add to that the 5000 day trippers that arrive from Auckland , and things can get a little crazy.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Waiheke Island, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Firstly thank you for taking the time to review. An un-allocated booking means you have a" booking" but simply a car was not allocated before you arrived. Unfortunetly we can not do anything about the 200 metre walk from the ferry terminal as this is Council owned and it is used for the 1500 commuters (locals) that travel to the city daily for work. Not sure why the staff member was eating maybe she was hungry? Please also be aware we are unique on the island, the cars are rented to new customers generally daily. So new smells, sand, dust, perfume, food etc etc. We certainly try our best but as you would of seem we do have some extreme conditions over here. We certainly love living here and so do the other 8000 locals.

Owner

Auckland, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Dear Sir/Madam

If you’re in fact advising insurance excesses that exceed the relevant vehicle’s current market value this could amount to conduct that is likely to mislead and/or deceive and potentially raise issues under the Fair Trading Act. Your customer may wish to raise this issue with the Commerce Commission. I suggest you take appropriate legal advice.

Best regards

Edited: 02 March 2011, 12:54
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

That sounds a bit strong Grim! The insurance probably covers third party property so a claim could be worth much more than $3500 even if the car itself is not worth that. Mind you, I agree that $3500 is a high excess for a used import type rental car. A lot of rental companies overseas have HUGE excesses so you are pretty much obliged to take the reduction option. I guess the lesson is not to get sucked in by a low headline price!

Auckland, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

fair comment.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

We just rented scooters from Waiheke Auto Rentals and had a VERY BAD EXPERIENCE. We used the scooters for half a day, and took diligent care of them. They told us to return the scooters any time after 5:00 pm but they would be closed. We did so, and had absolutely no problems or issues at any time. Again, we were extremely careful with them. Just got a call from them this morning saying one of the fenders has been damaged and they are going to withhold an extra $500 from our credit card!! The scooters cost $85 to rent for half a day, and of course they make you sign a damage claim form. Our mistake was not thoroughly checking over the scooters before we left to take them out. We are very responsible people and if we had done something to cause any damage we would own up to it. What is extremely frustrating is we know beyond a shadow of a doubt we did nothing to cause damage ,and yet now we are being stung for $500. They claimed that even if I did nothing to damage someone else could have whilst we were parked by bumping into it with their car. This is absolute rubbish as the scooter would have been laying on it's side, and my wife's would have been dinged as well. The funny thing is the guy knew exactly how much the fender part cost, and made mention of the fact that he gets no joy out of making these calls. There was a distinct inference that they are making these damage claims reasonably often.

All I can say is I will never rent from Waiheke Auto Rentals again, and in renting from anyone else will go through the vehicle with a fine toothed comb before taking it out.

Mentioned in this post
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Re post 6 this matter has been raised in a separate thread. Regarding the excess, whilst the car value maybe less or approx equal to the excess what about if the driver hit a brand new $200,000 Mercedes Benz which may requires tens of thousands to repair - this is in part why the insurance is there. Not having seen the policy I am aware in Australia for example if a second car is not involved then the excess is higher than if two cars are involved. This is because there is no way of getting the reason for an accident substantiated.

Outlying places around the world often have higher rentals and higher excesses because there is limited competition and the rental company can offest more of their costs onto the customer. Its not a criticsm just a reality of life. One always has a choice whether to accept the terms and conditions on offer or walk away and reject them. If after having accepted the terms and conditions and something goes awry dont blame anyone but oneself.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

I WILL NEVER IN MY LIVE RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE.

We did a booking with Sea Link and then booked the car. On the reservation I clicked that we will be arriving with Sea Link. When we got to port there was no offices. We were informed by the Sea Link staff that we had to go to the other port to pick up the car. Costing us $20 for a ride there. I feel that we should have been informed about the fact that they do not have an office at this port when I made the booking.

We got a car but the brakes were squeaking, later on you could hear that it was steel on steel and we took the car back to be replaced. We did not think it was fair to refill a car that was not working correctly at the time. The second car worked fine and we refueled it before taking it back.

We left the car and went down to the ferry terminal. Waiting and waiting we asked about the Sea Link ferry and was informed we had to go back to the first terminal. Once again it cost us & $20 to get back to Kennedy Terminal.

Today 11/11/11 I saw that an amount went of my credit card. I was informed that it was for the refueling of the first car. That to me is unacceptable as the car did not work right and that the brakes of all things. I was told the mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the brakes of the car. He should be fired because I will not drive across the whole island to change the car over for a new one to ride around another 30 minutes.

My whole Waiheke experience was great but Waiheke Car Rentals really put a damper on the whole day.

Mentioned in this post
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Is there another rental company on the island besides this company?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,272 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Other vehicle rental companies on Waiheke:-

Waiheke Fun Rentals - www.funrentals.co.nz

Offshore Rentals - www.offshorerentals.co.nz

I have no information regarding fleet, service, after hours enquiries, hire T&C, insurance, customer feedback etc.

Mentioned in this post
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Get answers to your questions about Waiheke Island
More Waiheke Island Topics