We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiheke Car Rental?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Waiheke Car Rental?

Werented from Waiheke Auto Rentals. Despite boooking via their website a month in advance when we got off the ferry & went to their office the guy said we were an "unallocated booking" ie they had our booking but had not allocated a car. It took him (otherwise nice guy) about 5 mins to work this out. We had to carry our bags, some groceries etc for a weekend, about 200 yards on a path which then turned to gravel (not good for wheelibags!). We then met a girl behind a counter who after I got her attention away from something else served us by continuing to eat her lunch roll with one hand while tapping the computer keyboard with her other hand. The car was ok but was about a 10 year old Japanese used import with 120000kms on the clock, a bit smelly/stale inside, and a radio that didn't work on the NZ FM frequency band. I paid the extra to reduce the insurance excess to $500 from $3500 but had to laugh as I don't think the car would have been worth $3500 in the first place. I've rented cars all round the world but here I felt a bit lke they were loaning me the crown jewels. And finally we got charge for 3 days despite having the car for 48 hours. All ok but vey ordinary & you can't help but feel that "it's an island" not the mainland is an excuse to be sloppy.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

This thread is 5 1/2 years old, so don't say you weren't warned

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Hello !

With everyone's reviews we were really scared to deal with Waiheke Rental Cars...

So we didn't book online, we decided to see when we arrived on the island, take the bus or the taxi.

Then we got into waiheke rental cars and we were really surprise !

Richard there was really helpful, so booked the day we arrived !

We really appreciated to rent the car, and 'til the end Richard was great !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Has anyone used Rent Me Waiheke to hire a car? I am hesitant to use Waiheke rental cars after these numerous bad reviews.

1 post
Save Reply
74. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Hey I booked and used this website http://www.waihekemotors.co.nz/. Apparently is a new business on the island and it was very good, nice cars and good service. I really recommend them, cheap and nice.

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Can you get around on the island without a car?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,318 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Hi Jacques,

During summer, the Explorer double-decker bus gets you around to most places in the developed part of the island. There are also buses, taxis, tours and shuttles, as well as push bike rentals.

During winter time (now) the Explorer bus isn't in service but you still have the choice of the buses, taxis, tours and shuttles, as well as rental push bikes and scooters.

Oneroa - Little O beach - Blackpool and Surfdale can be walked to. You could walk some of the distance and wait for a bus to get your further towards Onetangi, where there are a number of vineyards along Onetangi Straight between Ostend (supermarket, shops, Saturday market) and Onetangi beachfront.

77. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2018, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Waiheke Island
More Waiheke Island Topics