We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
410 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

My wife and I are very excited for our first visit to Maine in late June! Our 4.5 year old daughter is traveling with us, and we're spending 4 days and 3 nights based in Ogunquit. We want to explore the Southern Maine coast in a way that will be slow paced and fun for all three of us. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the below itinerary:

Thursday (driving from NY and arriving in Maine at lunch time).

-Nubble Light

-Marginal Way

Friday

-Ogunquit Beach

-First Chance Scenic Lobster Tour 1.5 hours (Kennebunkport)

Saturday

-Portland Head Light

-Children's Museum of Maine (Portland)

-Eastern Promenade (Portland)

-Casco Bay Ferry to Peaks Island

Sunday

-Perkins Cove and Ogunquit Museum of American Art

-Drive home to NY

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you'd have any additions or deletions. Thank you!

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

If you can fit it in, I would add Cape Elizabeth/Two Lights Park and maybe an hour at nearby Crescent Beach to your Portland day. The beach is quite different than Ogunquit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgXHfeVW5GY

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
410 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

Thanks so much Tom, those are great suggestions! I'm not sure that we're going to have time to squeeze in that many activities on the Portland day, but we'll strongly consider. Thank you!

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
410 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

We're now leaning towards doing the 4.5 hour whale watch tour with First Chance in the Kennebunks instead of the lobster tour. Think the larger boat will make us far less inclined to get sea sick, and my 4.5 year old daughter is enthralled by the idea of seeing whales. Has anyone done this tour with a youngster?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

When I think of whale watching, the first words that come to my mind are "sea sick," so I may not be the person to ask. :-) I have friends who did that whale watch last year and there were no whales. They got a pass to go another day and saw one. I think with a young child, I'd go with the lobster boat tour. When I was young, I thought it was fun to see how they catch lobsters. You would probably also see some seals. And if you DO get sea sick, it's a shorter ride! (I use Sea Bands and swear by them.)

I agree with Tom - if you're going out to Portland Head Light, you might as well swing by Two Lights while you're there. At most they are 15-20 minutes apart. Since you'll be in Ogunquit, I can see skipping Crescent Beach, but for others reading this, it is a great beach with kids.

The Ogunquit museum isn't huge and there is a nice sculpture garden for your child to enjoy when they get antsy.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
410 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

Thanks so much CB. We're back to thinking the 90 minute lobster boat is a much safer bet for our 4.5 year old daughter. Plus we'd have most of that day to explore Kennebunkport and Ogunquit Beach.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
410 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

Is the lobster boat choppier than the whale watch boat? It's smaller and has 1 level instead of 2, and I'm wondering if we might be more likely to get sea sick on that. As noted above though, much better to be seasick on a 90 minute boat ride than a 4.5 hour one.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

Maine Wildlife Park (near Portland) is a good stop with a 4.5 year old.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

With a child that young, I would skip a boat tour that goes out into the ocean. If the child gets sick or the waves are rough, there is no way off the boat. Maybe do a short ferry ride around Portland harbor.

Kennebunkport, Maine
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

I agree! Seems between OGT and KPT you could spend considerable time! But aside from that and the above mentioned Portland additions it sounds awesome!

Kennebunkport, Maine
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old

Actually, I wanted to circle back.... your 4.5 year old will love goose rocks beach. Tides are easy, waves are gentle and the sand is gorgeous. In addition, timber island, visible from the beach and accessible from timber point has some really spectacular tidal pools to dig around and play in. My guess is the older volunteer couple will be there by then and can point the way for your little. Bring a camera. Of course cause it’s really pretty but know it’s a little walk through the preserve to get to it.

Hope that helps more than the previous post.

Cheers

Reply to: Late June in Southern Maine with a 4.5 Year Old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted