We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)

5 posts
Save Topic
Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)

Planning a family trip next summer and right now we're thinking of spending a week in Bethel.

We want to do some bicycling and lots of easy/moderate hikes with varying/interesting views, that won't be dangerous for a child. Would also like to do some fishing, hopefully with a motorboat. Would love to see some wildlife too!

Are the county highways safe to bike on? It doesn't look like there are many bike paths around.

If there's an area that would be better suited for us than Bethel, please share!

Mentioned in this post
Bethel
Bethel
Maine
5 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)

You might consider visiting Acadia National Park. It has a system of carriage roads for walking and biking. Motorized vehicles are forbidden on the carriage roads. There are also easy trails and fun boat excursions. Stunning scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)

Bethel is a beautiful area with plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities and wildlife viewing:

https://www.bethelmaine.com/what-to-do

Another area you might want to look at is the Rangeley Lakes area:

http://www.rangeley-maine.com/

Mentioned in this post
Bethel
Bethel
Maine
The Rangeley Inn
The Rangeley Inn
170 Reviews
Rangeley, ME
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)

Thank you both! Which is more expensive to hike? It looks like there's a big entry fee to Acadia (that would have to be paid daily?), but also that there are fees to hike around the Bethel area as well? (Grafton Notch, White Mountain, Rangeley)

A little bummed since I'm coming from Alaska, where the parks and trails are pretty much all fee free. :(

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bethel
Bethel
Maine
White Mountain Hotel and Resort
White Mountain Hotel and...
1,182 Reviews
North Conway, NH
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)

Acadia is a National Park, so Maine doesn't set fees there, just like Alaska doesn't control the fees we paid at Denali.

I couldn't access the maine.gov site right now, but I don't remember big fees to hike in Grafton Notch. Here's a couple of articles you might enjoy:

mainetoday.com/maine-travel/…

mainetoday.com/maine-travel/…

There are a lot of public lands in the Rangeley area which are open. Maine's public lands just let you pull over and hike, camp, etc. Just carry out what you bring in and respect the privilege.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
The Rangeley Inn
The Rangeley Inn
170 Reviews
Rangeley, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)

The entrance fee to Acadia National Park as of June 1 is $30. That is valid for seven days and is good for your vehicle and everyone in it. There are no additional fees to hike or to bike. https:/…fees.htm

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Reply to: Where to visit? (Ourdoorsy family with preschooler)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;