We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from our Trip

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Back from our Trip

First of all, Thank You to the TripAdvisor members who gave us some great advice for our trip. I have to mention that we didn’t follow all of the advice - we know what works for us - and our trip wouldn’t work for everyone… but it did for us. We had a great time!

It was just my husband and myself on this trip. Our plans were to run a marathon (just him!), see the beauty of Utah (including hiking in the parks), and end up in Las Vegas. We did it all in 10 days/9 nights and had long, wonderful days each day with little time for rest. We were discussing whether our children (now adults) would have enjoyed this trip - either as kids or adults… and decided they would not!

We started in Salt Lake City and rented a car for the duration of our trip. Since we dropped the car off in Las Vegas, we had a LARGE drop off fee - but we were expecting that and decided it was the best route for us anyway. We booked all of our Utah hotels ahead of time but saved the Las Vegas hotel for a “Hotel Tonight” last minute booking and it paid off. We had never tried that before and would only use that app in a large city with lots of hotels.

We knew we were going to have a lot of driving on the trip - but planned it well. We had a fairly detailed plan for when we’d be driving and had a general idea of which hikes would work for us.

Our overall itinerary was as follows:

Arrive SLC on Thursday (June 9th) and stay in Provo - 2 nights; Marathon on Saturday

Arches for Sunset Saturday

Arches/Canyonlands on Sunday

Driving Day on Monday ending up at Bryce

Bryce on Tuesday ending up in Zion on Tuesday night

Wednesday and Thursday at Zion

Las Vegas on Thursday night through Saturday afternoon

We hiked a total of 43 miles between Saturday night and Thursday. We probably “hiked” another 5 miles in Las Vegas but I didn’t count that!

The details are below.

Mentioned in this post
The Inn at Entrada
The Inn at Entrada
#1 of 46 hotels in St. George
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
#1 of 16 hotels in Springdale
Washington School House Hotel
Washington School House Hotel
#1 of 60 hotels in Park City
16 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Back from our Trip

Polly R - glad to be of assistance. I'm sure you will love Utah as we did.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,366 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Back from our Trip

That was fun to read through. I thought your days were well thought out and the spacing of hotels and hikes etc was spot on. You certainly can't see it all in that short of a time, but as you experienced sometimes even a little bit is enough. Part of your preparation was getting out of the door early- it really pays off.

It brought a smile to my face to hear your report of the Forscher bakery. We kind of felt the same way.

Congratulations on doing well in the marathon. Hopefully you can come back again for another visit.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Back from our Trip

Hey Lynn. I know the thread is old but we are get ready to do a very similar trip from SLC to Las Vegas.

This was a great report.

I was curious when you said you left your hikin shoes in a backpack on the narrows trail. Is that literally on the trail. Like is that normal. Sounds like a good idea but I was curious.

Anything you would have done differently besides have more time !

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Back from our Trip

Regarding leaving backpacks for the narrows hike... there is an area with some benches at the start of the water part of the narrows trail where a lot of people change their shoes. We left the backpacks tucked u see the bench there. We were not the only people who left things there.

As for doing things differently - I would have tried to figure out a way not to only stay a single night at any hotel... but then we wouldn’t have been able to see as much so maybe I’d still do it all the same.

Happy hiking!

bedford
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Back from our Trip

Thanks Lynne!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
984 posts
970 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Back from our Trip

I enjoyed reading your TR. We traveled to these parks in 2016 and 2017 -- they are treasures! Sounds like we had the same reaction to LV. We'd much rather be hiking a great trail!

Reply to: Back from our Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted