We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Park City to Capitol Reef

Erica, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Route from Park City to Capitol Reef

I have a question about the best route from park city to capitol reef.

The quickest according to google maps is the I15, 50 and 24.

However there are more options, like the 89 or the 6 and 10. Or a combination with a detour through Manti la sal.

We like to see some small villages or nature on our way, but I don't like to make a detour which make no sense. Is it best to take the quickest route as possible, or is there anything nice to see on our way?

4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,841 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Route from Park City to Capitol Reef

From Park City, this is the route I would take to Capitol Reef.

East on highway 40 to Heber City and then south on 189 through Provo Canyon. At the mouth of Provo Canyon, stay right and take 800 North to I 15. Take I 15 to Scipio Utah. At Scipio, exit on highway 50. Take that to Aurora, Utah where you will turn right on 260 South to Aurora. Just past Aurora, you'll want to continue to the town of Siqurd Utah and Highway 24. Highway 24 goes directly to Torrey. This drive would take you about 4 hours without stops.

This is a scenic route for the most part. Once you are off I 15, you will be traveling through several small Utah towns before you get to Torrey. You may want to divert to the Fish Lake Highway, highway 25, from highway 24. It's a scenic drive and will only add about 15 minutes to your drive.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Route from Park City to Capitol Reef

Park City to Capitol Reef? You'll be driving through some of the best of Utah!

My preferred route from Park City would be nowhere near the freeway. (;

First suggestion: head towards Heber City and use Highway 40 to Duchesne, the use Indian Canyon to get Price & south on Hwy 191 to I-70 (not really going to Green River, UT but in that general direction). Then, once on I-70 head west to the Hwy 24 exit and drive south, past Goblin Valley to Hanksville, taking a turn west to Capitol Reef.

Another idea is to take I-15 to Spanish Fork and drive Spanish Fork Canyon (just south of Provo) to get to Price, and then take Hwy 10 through Huntington, Castle Dale, Emery to I-70... but just CROSS UNDER the freeway and continue south on Hwy 72 to Fremont/Loa, and then Hwy 24 to Capitol Reef.

You can also do this route in combination with Hwy 40 and Indian Canyon above, since both ways basically take you to Price.

Let me know if you have any questions about either of these routes!

*Pixie*

Edited: 25 August 2018, 00:16
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,841 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Route from Park City to Capitol Reef

As you can see, there’s more than one way to get to Torrey/Capitol Reef. Perhaps the deciding factor would be how much time you have for the drive. Pixie’s routes would be a little slower because of the speed limit on the two lane roads and the possibility of getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle and not being able to pass for awhile. Of Pixie’s routes, I would prefer the one that takes highway 10 to highway 72. That would be very scenic and it would be more direct than going by way of Hanksville. There won’t be much traffic on highway 72 either. In the end, It’s your choice. Either route would be an enjoyable drive.

Edited: 25 August 2018, 00:28
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,841 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Route from Park City to Capitol Reef

And just to add something else to think about, you could possibly add the very scenic drive over the Mt. Nebo loop if you drove I 15 to Payson Utah (which is a few minutes south of Spanish Fork). At the end of the loop, you would have the option of turning right to go back to I 15 or turn left and head to Mount Pleasant and highway 89. 89 would take you through some great small Utah towns. A good lunch stop would be at Rodger's Dairy Freeze at the main intersection in Mount Pleasant On highway 89, a short diversion to Spring City would be of interest. The entire town is on the National Historic Register. When highway 89 intersects with I 70,, you would head east to the Highway 24/Sigurd exit. With stops, this drive from Park City would probably be close to six hours. You haven't said when you are traveling. But if it's sometime in mid to late September, the Mt. Nebo Scenic Loop should be in all it's Fall color. It's pretty spectacular.

Edited: 25 August 2018, 02:04
Reply to: Route from Park City to Capitol Reef
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted