We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC for new years with kids

florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Washington DC for new years with kids

Lasy year we spent new years in NYC and it was easy to know were to go. This year we are planing my husband and I w/ 4 kids (10,10,8,3) to go to Washington DC. Our plan is to have a rental car and a small condo. We are looking in vacation rentals by owner and others. Before we make any decisions, I really need to know about the areas were should I look the condo to be situated. I have seen several next to the zoo area,the convention Ctr,Dupont cirlce,Capitol hill, white house. What will be the best? Do we really need the car? we have never been in Washington and we are planing to see as much as we can. We will also like to visit sorrounding locations (that it's why we thought of the car) near Washington like small towns... any suggestions? Finally, were can we spend new years? We'll be there for about 6 days. As much information you can give me the better.

Thank you for your help.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
1. Re: Washington DC for new years with kids

"I have seen several next to the zoo area,the convention Ctr,Dupont cirlce,Capitol hill, white house."

Those are all fine areas to look. If you get down to a couple and want to post addresses, I am sure you will get feedback.

You don't need a car in DC unless there is something wrong with one of you and you can't walk or take Metro (rail and bus)

I don't know what small towns nearby you are thinking of that aren't accessible by Metro. If you want to go to Mt. Vernon a car might be nice, but that is also accessible by rail and then bus.

I think your New Years Eve options are limited to dinner out since you will have kids. I don't know of any fireworks or anything around here but maybe someone else does.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,254 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Washington DC for new years with kids

The family thing for New Year's Eve is First Night in Alexandria. And you can get there using the Metro. http://www.firstnightalexandria.org/

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
3. Re: Washington DC for new years with kids

Why do they call it First Night if it's on the last night? I always thought those things were 01/01. I am glad I never tried to go to one.

Cave Creek, Arizona
4 posts
4. Re: Washington DC for new years with kids

Was curious if you ever found a place you liked? We are about to do the same....head to DC with 7 kids (teenagers) on a sightseeing mission. Anyone know of a good place to stay?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,254 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Washington DC for new years with kids

You should start your own topic, rather than tag onto a topic about New Years Eve. And read the forum, which is filled with topics about choosing a hotel. Dozens and dozens of suggestions.

6. Re: Washington DC for new years with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 15:17