We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC and beyond ?

Edinburgh...
3 posts
Save Topic
Washington DC and beyond ?

Hi, following 3 days NYC and 3 days DC we (partner and two boys age 11 & 14) plan 4 days touring with a hope to see true America and relax off the beaten track before flying back to Scotland. We have booked car and our dates are Tuesday 6th April to Saturday 10th at DC airport by mid afternoon. It would be nice to mix a bit of coast and inland with two nights in a family friendly resort hotel, I'm assuming to head south will be warmer and we might even get a bit of warm weather ! All ideas welcome,

D.C. Ducks
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Duck Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,602 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC and beyond ?

Have no idea what "true America" might be. But Virginia, to the south of DC, is filled with history and natural beauty. And the azaleas will be starting in early April. The Williamsburg area has a lot of history and you can get to Virginia Beach in little more than an hour from there. Or if you prefer gentle mountains, the Charlottesville area is also quite nice, but things will not be as far along in the flower department as Williamsburg.

Delaware
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC and beyond ?

That time of year the weather can be very variable at the shore. I remember a few years ago we went for the first weekend in April to Rehoboth Beach, DE (my top recommendation for you if you want to see the mid-Atlantic coast) and needed winter coats because the temperature was only in the mid-forties. The next weekend, my friend who lives in Lewes, DE (next town over from Rehoboth) said that it was 70 degrees and people were lying on the beach in shorts and t-shirts.

If you don't want to do the mountains in Virginia (around Charlottesville and Shenandoah National Park is the best location) or Williamsburg, then I suggest you drive to Rehoboth Beach for a couple of days. You can stop in Annapolis on the way out for lunch and walking around by the waterfront. Once you arrive at Rehoboth for a few days, make sure to check out Lewes, which has a completely different feel. Also, you can make an interesting day trip from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ on the passenger ferry. Did I mention they have lots of tax-free shopping outlets in Rehoboth for when the weather is bad?!

Have fun, whatever you do. Welcome to the US!

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC and beyond ?

I really love Rehoboth DE and Lewes too. If you really would like to get off the beaten path I would also recommend some coastal getaways not on the Atlantic but on the Chesapeake Bay, North America's largest estuary which is about 200 miles long.

Annapolis would definitely be worth a stop, and it is 30 miles East of DC but feels a world away. It is situated on the water, is very historic with cobblestone streets, boutiques, shops, eateries, pubs, and many restaurants. It can easily be seen on foot, as the historic district is compact and relatively easy to navigate.

After Annapolis you can cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (over 4 miles long) and enter the Eastern Shore of Maryland which has a very diffierent atmosphere when compared to its Western counterpart. Here you will find many waterfront towns, farms, and a much slower paced lifestyle.

You could stay in St. Michaels (www.stmichaelsmd.org), Rockhall, or Tilghman Island (TI). The first place is similar to Annapolis as it has the most shops and dining options (Also has a great Maritime museum that really captures life on the Bay. It has many exhibits including a full size replica of a lighthouse).

The last two truly capture the Bay's influence on its residents. Watermen can still be seen coming and going from the docks in Tilghman Island. All offer unique lodging right on the water. You could then easily drive to other places to explore.

Not sure of your budget but some interesting lodging choices would be: Black Walnut Point Inn, Inn at Knapps Narrows, and the Tilgman Island Inn. (all in TI). Inn at Osprey Point, Swan Haven, Moonlight Bay Inn, all in RockHall. In St. Michaels you might consider The Inn at Perry Cabin, St. Micahels Harbour Inn, and Two Swan Inn.

Other towns to visit on the Eastern Shore would be Easton, Chestertown, Oxford. If you are looking for a full service beautiful resort on the Bay, then I would recommend the Hyatt in Cambridge. It truly is a lovely property and sits on one of the tributaries off the Bay (the Choptank River).

Although Cambridge is not as appealing, you could use it as your docking station and make short day trips from here as well.

4. Re: Washington DC and beyond ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 14:17