We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Question - which area?

Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Question - which area?

I've read the forums but need some advice. I'm travelling to D.C. with husband and two teenagers for 2 nights (March 21 & 22). Is Dupont Circle, Foggey Bottom or Dupont Circle the best place to stay. We want to see the monuments, spend some time at the Smithsonian and maybe the capitol. We will not have a rental car. Budget is $300 or less per night. Any suggestions or guidance to narrow this down is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
330 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Hotel Hive
Hotel Hive
#2 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
#5 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Avery Georgetown
The Avery Georgetown
#6 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Question - which area?

Good thing you won't have a rental car because it would be a hindrance

Yes, Dupont Circle or Foggy Bottom are good places to stay. You can add Penn Quarter and Downtown to the list if you don't find anything in DC within your budget.

Outside DC - Crystal City and Rosslyn in VA

Mentioned in this post
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
330 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,044 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Question - which area?

I don't think there is any one "best place". There are only some places you don't want to stay, most notably the hotels in the NE quadrant. Dupont Circle is an excellent location. Foggy Bottom is great too. Downtown is the closest to the most things, but it can be expensive. You are coming just before cherry blossom time, so prices shouldn't be too terrible. You just have to pick something, ask specifically and then book it.

Mentioned in this post
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
330 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
38,263 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Question - which area?

We wanted to be as close to the White House as possible so we booked The Sofitel. It has recently won a Traveler's Choice award on this site. We found the service to be top notch here, also. Let me know if you have any specific questions about this property, we stayed in Nov. and our room was under $200/night for King Deluxe room with a view of the city.

I hope you enjoy the area as much as we did, it's totally awesome! :)

Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Question - which area?

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know if the Residence Inn, 333 E. St. SW is a decent location?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Question - which area?

Julie,

The Residence Inn at 333 E Street SW is right next to I-395 (check out Google Maps to see the proximity). While it is relatively close to the Mall, it is in a pretty barren office area--everything around there closes down at night and on the weekends, no places to eat, etc. If you do some searches in this forum regarding the L'Enfant Plaza hotel, all the same issues hold true for the Residence Inn.

Mentioned in this post
L'Enfant Plaza
L'Enfant Plaza
101 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Question - which area?

Whoa, availability of rooms for 4 people is lower and rates are higher than I was expecting to see for those particular dates. A couple of suggestions:

** the River Inn in Foggy Bottom: their larger Potomac Suite -- with 2 double beds or 1 king bed in the bedroom, a queen sleep sofa in the living room, and kitchen -- is available on the hotel's own web site for an average nightly rate of $223/night (before taxes).

http://www.theriverinn.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28970-d84100-R…

** two Kimpton properties in the Dupont Circle area (about 2 blocks from Metro station) -- the Madera and the Topaz -- have rooms with 2 queen beds starting at $250 [Madera] and $230 [Topaz], which includes breakfast. Use this page to get those rates:

kimptonhotels.com/hotels/hotels-washingtondc…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28970-d84115-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28970-d84047-R…

Mentioned in this post
The River Inn
The River Inn
1,964 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
The Dupont Circle
The Dupont Circle
3,602 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
7. Re: Hotel Question - which area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 13:21