We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Flying to Phoenix, renting a car then driving to Apache Junction. Was curious how long it would take to complete the Apache Trail starting at Apache Junction, heading NE on 88, then 66 through Miami and ending up in Superior.

The time frame I'm wondering about won't take sight seeing stops into account.

Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Without stops count on app 3 hours. 22 miles unpaved on AT.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Thanks Tet.

You helped me map out my AZ road trip a couple years ago, i had a blast. I'm taking another one this summer.

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
3. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Does your rental car contract allow for driving on unpaved roads?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
128 reviews
4. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

My wife and just finished driving the loop round trip from Apache Junction. We stopped at a number of places, but the actual drive time was close to three hours. You can only drive around 10 miles per hour over the rough road from Tortilla flats to Roosevelt Dam. We did not find the scenery worth the time and rattles, but glad we did it once.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Curious.how the OP liked the drive.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

The weather wasn't on my side that week. Rainy with lots of ugly overcast. So I skipped the Apache Trail and drove straight to Prescott instead where the weather was much better.

I've drove 'half' of the Apache Trail in 2013 and it was breathtaking. But I have never driven the complete 'circle'.

I'm taking yet another AZ road trip in May and plan on including the Apache Trail as part of my itinerary. Hopefully with better weather this time.

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
7. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Good decision! I seem to remember that the trail can get a little slippery in the rain, especially Fish Creek Hill!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

Yikes! Slippery is the last thing you want on that trail.

I really hope I get to drive it again in May. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

We have done AT 3 times and loved it but I must say for scenery the paved part is as good as the unpaved part.

Rocky River, Ohio
3 posts
10. Re: How long does it take to drive Apache Trail?

I want to take my son (8years old) to the wild west town close to the apache trail. We will be driving in from Phoenix. Is the town at the beginning of the trail or accessible without doing the unpaved trail? He would just like the touristy show and mine.

Thank you!!

Get answers to your questions about Apache Junction
Recent Conversations