We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

Hi :)

Does anyone know or could give me some information on hotel deposits please? We will be travelling next year to Anaheim & plan on staying at the Disneyland Hotel for one night & then 6 nights at either Residence inn by Marriot at Anaheim resort/convention centre, Howard Johnson Anaheim hotel & water playground, Springhill suites by Marriot Anaheim resort/convention centre OR Courtyard by Marriot theme park entrance .... So my question is can I pay a cash deposit for any of these hotels & how much are they usually? This is our first trip out of Australia so I wouldn’t have a clue ... I don’t have a credit card & don’t think I’ll be able to get one & I don’t want to use my debit card because I’ve heard & read that the hold on the card can take ages to clear oh & aswell as Car Hire we are renting a car from Alamo do they accept cash deposits aswell ?

Thanks in advance

18 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

You would need to contact the hotel to see if they would take a cashiers check instead of a credit card to hold the room. A room deposit is usually one night's rate. They may want some type of a card, because it offers them some insurance if the room is trashed. Same goes with a car rental. Good luck.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
207 reviews
2. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

I can’t speak specifically about those hotels, you’d have to ask them. However, generally speaking, Hotels May allow you to leave a cash deposit but it can be $100 plus per night depending on their facilities and amenities. They may simply have a safe where they can hold it and so can return the balance to you or they may bank it for security reasons but you’d need to ask the hotel.

Years ago, I dealt with National Car rental with cash but I doubt a car rental company would accept cash these days, again you’d need to ask. If they did, they would probably take a deposit equal to the entire rental, maybe a security deposit and you’d have to get their insurance (which I’d suggest anyway) but I’m only guessing.

In general though, it’s a really bad idea to travel without a credit card. The unexpected can happen and you may need funds in a hurry. A good card many Australians use for travelling is the 28 degrees Mastercard which can be applied for online, has no foreign exchange fees and a good exchange rate. If having a credit card is not financially possible or advisable for you, then I’m wondering if an expensive trip like this is a good idea.

Travellers Chequers? (There’s a blast from the past)

Get a credit card and put it into credit?

Not sure.

All the best

Edited: 24 November 2017, 14:38
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
207 reviews
3. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

I should add that with hotels that you can often secure the room with a credit card but choose to pay by cash when you check out.

But again, I’m not here to give you financial advice and make you get a credit card if you can’t afford one, just laying out the possibilities.

All the best.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

Interesting that you would choose to ask your question here instead of the hotel directly?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,660 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

There's no one universal policy on cash deposits, which is why everyone is saying you need to check with the specific hotels. If you're planning on renting a car, be aware that very few locations take cash deposits, and the deposit will be MUCH larger.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
6. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

Can you get a secured credit card - that means you have a certain credit limit, say $2,000 USD that is secured by your bank account in case you do not pay your ccd bills - these are used to build credit. You generally need a credit card to travel - this does not mean going into debt - you can pay it off in full every month and get no interest charges. No car rental company is likely to give you a car without a credit card - what is to stop you from just stealing it -- you need to call each hotel individually for their policies, it depends on the hotel, the size of your party and whatever.

https:/…

Lochinvar, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

We negotiated cash deposits with two out of the 3 hotels during our recent stay in October.

We stayed 9 nights at the desert palms hotel and suites and paid $150 cash deposit- returned on check out.

We hired cars for both a day trip and 4 days in vegas. Signs everywhere that without a credit card renting is difficult and different rules for debit card holders and yes holds can take up to 30 days to be returned to you but you can ask your bank for a form for the business to fax through asking for release of funds earlier.

My advice would be if you can get a credit card with a small limit if not only for your room bookings and car hire deposit.

:)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
1 review
8. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

Almost any hotel will insist on a card for damages. They don’t all take a deposit out, though. I don’t think Candy Cane Inn did when I stayed last summer. There are relatively few chains that will allow a cash deposit. Motel 6 is the only place that has reliably done so in my experience. So I think your best bet is to call around and ask what kind of incidentals hold you receive upon check in.

The rental car though- you’re out of luck. First, it’s super hard to find a place that will just accept debit cards. Second, a lot of the places that do take out a crazy deposit for damages that they don’t on a credit card. Like over 500 dollars. Car rentals is the only reason I ever got a credit card to begin with.

Level Contributor
6,753 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

Car rental companies have loosened up their debit card policies lately and the information is on their websites.

For Alamo:

https:/…credit-debit-payment-options.html

Level Contributor
6,753 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit

For the hotel you should be able to visit a travel agency in Australia to pay for your room. They'll give you a voucher to present at check-in or a confirmation number and official receipt of payment. At check-in time the hotel will also require a cash deposit to pay for incidentals (keep your kids away from the mini-bar).

Reply to: Does Disneyland Hotel & other hotels take cash deposit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted