We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WOC and Fantasmic Jan 4 - 6th 2018

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
WOC and Fantasmic Jan 4 - 6th 2018

I have been reading the forums about WOC and Fantasmic. I would like our family to see both,and have been researching dining packages. However, I have read some not so encouraging reviews about the dining packages regarding price, value and food quality. My question: If we pack a picnic blanket in our backpack, and get fastpasses and return early, would we be good? So, will they let us put out a picnic blanket (not to steal extra space, would fold in half just for the four of us to sit down as I understand it can get squishy), and wait, would that be ok? Any advice appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
883 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
3 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WOC and Fantasmic Jan 4 - 6th 2018

You can get Fast Passes for these shows for free and pretty easy from their Fast Pass distribution kiosks in the corresponding park. It's not necessary to book dining packages to get their FP.

If what you are thinking of is to save a space way early with a picnic blanket, that is not allowed. It used to be something that was allowed for Fantastic, never for World of Color. It was stopped a few years ago. There is or was a pretty recent review of Fantasmic that suggested to do that, but they must have gone quite a few years ago. After I read it I reported it as having old information that goes against Disneyland policy. Hopefully, it will be removed. That reviewer will just be asked to create a new review without that information.

No one is allowed into the viewing areas for these shows without a Fast Pass and the FP has a time printed on it when you can go to queue up. You can go a little but early to queue if you want. These viewing areas are normally walk ways along the water in both parks. The cast members will begin putting up ropes to separate them some time before the start of the first show and before the first queue time begins.

The queue time for Fantasmic is only about a half hour before the showtime. I am not sure about World of Color.

If what you want is to use a blanket to sit on that is fine.

Edited: 25 November 2017, 22:56
Mentioned in this post
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
883 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WOC and Fantasmic Jan 4 - 6th 2018

More information:

The Hungry Bear Restaurant has a fairly new to go Fantasmic dining package. I saw a you tube review of this. The food, value, and viewing area got a good review. (Viewng is slightly to the side.) It can be eaten at the restaurant or taken away. They give you a big paper bag with a handle that has the Fantasmic logo all over it. You are allowed to take it into the viewing area. It's easier to get to the restaurant and do that before the first performance. The reviewer just ate at the restaurant.

The queue time for the first show of Fantasmic may be earlier than a half hour prior to showtime. I have only gone to the second performance. Please note that the guests from the first performance need to clear the viewing area before guests for the next performance may be ushered in. The cast members get everyone in before the performance begins, but that leaves no time to ear something.

Additiinally, Disneyland is no longer allowing guests to stake places far ahead of time for parades. When you see the cast members begin to put up ropes along with route it is a good time to find a spot or you can send a cast member what time is a good time to find a spot for the parade.

You can stake out a place for fireworks viewing early with a blanket, but not more than a couple of hours early. You must have someone with the blanket at all times. This is a good time to go get something to eat from someplace close by and bring it back to eat. Places you could consider near the castle and on Main Street are Coke Refreshment Corner, Jolly Holiday, Little Red Wagon, or Plaza Inn. The best meals would be from Plaza Inn and they can box them up to take to your spot. The next best would be Jolly Holiday. The others have hot dogs/corn dogs.

If you want to take in a blanket you might want to rent a locker on Main Street to hold it for most if the day unless it is very easy and light to carry around in a backpack all day.

Edited: 25 November 2017, 23:54
Mentioned in this post
Hungry Bear Restaurant
Hungry Bear Restaurant
283 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
883 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Plaza Inn
Plaza Inn
942 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WOC and Fantasmic Jan 4 - 6th 2018

Here is an image of the current Fantasmic Fast Pass. This is for the second performance and is for one of the viewing areas that does not need a dining package. You can see that the return time starts at 10 p.m. and you can see where to return to queue up. I did see a photo of a FP for the earlier performance and it looks like the return time might be an hour before the performance rather a half hour before.

I have viewed Fantasmic from this area twice. It's a very good view. If you see the fireworks before, just get over to the queue area as soon a possible for the better places in the area. Guests form a line and are ushered in beginning at that return time and the area is filled in a first come first serve fashion. So you can return a bit earlier to queue up, though not a whole lot earlier, although you will not be ushered in earlier. Please note that the dining package Fast Pass is handled in almost the same fashion.

https:/…disneyland-in-augus.html

Edited: 26 November 2017, 01:10
Mentioned in this post
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
883 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Reply to: WOC and Fantasmic Jan 4 - 6th 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted