We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

bangkok
Level Contributor
81 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

Dear fellow TA,

I am planning our family trip to Los Angeles in April 2018 as following:

Wednesday, April 11 - Magic Mountain

Thursday, April 12 - Universal Studios

Either Friday 13 or Saturday 14 or April - Disneyland (I was planning to go on Friday to avoid weekend crowd but was just aware that the Splash Mountain will still be closed on April 13 and will reopen on April 14)

I would GREATLY APPRECIATED for any suggestions on best days to go. I understand that Spring break crowd should already be gone by that time. Can anyone confirms whether the Splash Mountain will reopen on April 14th? and if it's worth it to go to Disneyland on Saturday instead of Friday just for it.

THANKS!!!!

Watee

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
32,091 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Universal Studios Hollywood General...
327 Reviews
from US$104.99*
Skip the Line: Express Ticket at...
16 Reviews
from US$178.99*
Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
123 Reviews
from US$84.00*
US$89.00
17 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

I just answered your other thread in the Los Angeles forum with the same question. I will go and copy and paste that thread link here so that everyone can read what I wrote. Basically I said go on Saturday.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

Posting my actual reply instead of a link. Here is what I wrote:

Yes, I can confirm that Splash Mountain re-opens on Saturday the 14th. Here is a link to the official Disneyland Resort entertainment schedule with the refurbishment schedule underneath the entertainment listing.

https:/…

As you may notice there are no other refurbishments listed for Disneyland with the exception of Dumbo.

If you enjoy flume rides Splash Mountain will be very much worth going on. And the theming inside is very well done. The final drop is very long and exciting and there is a little roundabout at the end of the drop that is part of the Rivers of America. Sometimes riders see one of the big boats going by.

That Friday is the start of Pixar Fest with a brand-new fireworks spectacular in Disneyland as well as Fantasmic. There is supposed to be a new parade as well but it's not listed yet. There is a backstage area that is being worked on so the opening of the parade may be delayed for a week or so. Just speculating.

If you are staying in Los Angeles Saturday morning will be the easiest drive for you.

You can expect crowds at Disneyland because of Pixar Fest. If you want to rearrange your itinerary so you were going earlier in the week you might see the lower crowds but you will miss all the fun.

Edited: 19 March 2018, 17:53
Mentioned in this post
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
883 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

If you haven't already looked at Knott's Berry Farm theme park, very close to Disneyland, compare that to Six Flags Magic Mountain and see what you think.

Mentioned in this post
Knott's Berry Farm
Knott's Berry Farm
3,925 Reviews
Buena Park, CA
bangkok
Level Contributor
81 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

I was comparing between Knott’s and Magic Mountain and it seems like Magic Mountain has more rides and there are some comments that Knott’s is running down. I am bringing a 10 year old and a 6 year old. Any suggestions is welcomed.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,143 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

Sorry, but your timeframe is pretty busy at Disneyland. Their are still various Spring Breaks going on, Conventions and School Competitions from about mid March to the third week of April each year. For your dates, I would suggest you visit in the first part of your dates which will have slightly better crowds, and not worry about Splash Mountain.

You can see crowd predictions by looking at the "Is it Packed" site which shows them. BUT keep in mind a "Hey its alright" does not mean low crowds, it means average busy ones.

isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-pre…

Six Flags is an amazing Theme Park full of extreme Roller coasters, but your 6 year old may not be tall enough or want to ride them at that age. I would add a day to Disneyland or 2 instead.

Disneyland has 2 Parks and over 100 attractions, it cant be seen in a day. Usually 2 or 3 days is suggested for a visit, especially at a busy time. If you only have a day, its suggested to just visit Disneyland Park with a 1 day 1 Park ticket and expect to get the highlights of that Park in a day.

Keep in mind, Anaheim is about a 1 hour drive South of the LA area, so Disneyland is not in LA. Six Flags is about a 45 min drive from the LA area. Will you have a car? Are you staying in LA to visit?

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Park
Disneyland Park
24,936 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

Knott's has actually been making continued improvements.

Knott's has a combination of themed family rides and entertainment and thrill rides. It is also known for its food.

Magic Mountain is mostly thrill rides. Not a lot of themes on the rides.

They are both good, just different.

Knotts may seem run down to some who don't expect to see the Old West buildings.

bangkok
Level Contributor
81 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

Dear Happytotrip,

Thanks for your suggestions! We will be staying at a vacation rental right in the Anaheim area and we will have a car. Maybe Knott’s Berry Farm is better if i go with a 10 and a six year old as there should be more accessible rides for the kids?

Mentioned in this post
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
162 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,143 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

I would suggest you will need at least 2 days at Disneyland and would be well worth it Imo rather than adding another Theme Park.

Can you let us know where your rental is located? You do need to be somewhat careful now when renting in Anaheim as they are phasing out short term rentals and not all people may be renting legally.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 09:25
Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

I can answer your question about the rides at Knott's.

In the Western Ghost Town:

Stagecoach - Horse drawn, authentic

Steam Locomotive Train - Large and authentic, over 130 years old, once part of the Rio Grande Railroad, authentic passenger cars. Short 9 minute ride that experiences "hold ups" by cowboy bandits. (Guns are not real, but look as if they are.)

Timber Mountain Log Ride - Flume ride that is themed with animatronic loggers and animals. Different than Disneyland's Splash Mountain and predates it. The first themed log flume ride, it experienced a major renovation a few years ago.

Calico Mine Train Ride - A slow moving mine train ride inside a mountain filled with animatronic miners, includes themed rainbow caverns and a look down into the deep "glory hole" of the mine. Renovated a few years ago after the Log Ride. All animatronics are renovated and improved, although old figures were used or replicated to preserve the look and history of the attraction. Therefore, they may look a little old or, well, like old, rough, miners. Thus attraction is dear to generations of locals. So changing it drastically was not even a consideration.

Wilderness :

Mystery Lodge Storyteller attraction: Technically considered a show. Inside the Mystery Lodge Theater. Very nice theming at the entrance. A Native American grandfather tells the story of his life and the importance of children on a stage in a darkened theater. The stage has a campfire and special effects. When he us done with his story, he disappears.

Also in the Wilderness area is Big Foot Rapids as well as the Pony Express launch coaster. Check their height requirements on the website. I have gone on the Pony Express next to a child who appeared to be around 8 or 9 years old.

Over in Camp Snoopy the kids can meet Snoopy and other Peanuts characters. As well as a small outdoor theater where they sometimes have shows. There a little train ride in Camp Snoopy and a ride that is like you are sitting in a hot air balloon among other hot air balloons going in a circle just a little bit off the ground. Various other rides there are entered on kids. Camp Snoopy has a creek with barrel bridges and a cave with waterfalls. I like the little Ferris Wheel.

In Fiesta Village there are rides with more thrills, but the nicest is the Jaquar Coaster thar is an easy one for kids, but still thrilling. The entrance is themed as a Mexican pyrimid.

Occasionally, there is a simple show in Fiesta Village with dancers.

The Boardwalk section has more thrilling rides, but also has the Coast Rider wild mouse coaster which is more of a family coaster.

The western section, Ghost Town is a recreation of an old west town that has some actual buildings taken from such towns. It has a saloon that looks like an old west saloon and usually a show up on the stage, sometimes with can can dancers.

Your dates will be a non-peak time for Knott's so it may be easy to get on the rides although the shows may be at a minimum. They actually just started their popular Boysenberry Festival and that ends the weekend before your trip begins. (Knott's is famous for boysenberry.)

Outside the park, across the street via a pedestrian tunnel, is a brick by brick nearly full scale replica of the American Indepedence Hall. Inside is a very good replica Liberty Bell. Outside the building is a duck pond.

Also outside the park, but not across the street, is the famous Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 11:25
Mentioned in this post
Storyteller's Cafe
Storyteller's Cafe
1,160 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant
Mrs. Knott's Chicken...
1,146 Reviews
Buena Park, CA
bangkok
Level Contributor
81 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018

Wow, Redlandsredhead, thank you for such detail explanation!!! Knott’s seem to be more fun for my 10/6 years old.

Reply to: Theme parks during April 11-14, 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted