We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

Hi

Can someone recommend me a place to get best currency rates near disneyland. Also how many US $ can I get out of 1000 Canadian $ including the agent charges. I don't want to use card, I want physical cash.

11 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,486 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

Just want to make sure you understand that converting physical currency will generally give you the lowest value for your money. There is a Travelex there, and you can contact them to see their current rates and fees: https:/…2551

Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

I visited the website but I can only see rates for buying other currencies with USD. Rates to buy USD with foreign currencies is not available. Can you guide further.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

The rates for buying USD is available.

https://buy.travelex.com/us/Basket

This is the online rate for $1000 USD, the rate at the exchange is likely to be worse. It’s currently about $CA1-16 per USD. It’s up to you but travelling without a credit card is a bad and often expensive idea.

All the best.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 20:04
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,772 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

Travelex has the reputation of giving the worst rates but if that is the only place you can find then use your physical Canadian currency there.

IF you do not have a debit/ATM card that would allow you to pull USA currency from a bank ATM then changing cash at a place like Travelex would be your only choice.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

The Travelex at Downtown Disney is closed. The nearest one is about 3 km away at the corner of Lincoln Ave. and Anaheim Blvd., inside the U.S. Bank. Their store rates are different (and worse) than their online rates.

I just called them and they are buying Canadian dollars at $1.46 today. The interbank rate right now is $1.31. (That $1.16 is their rate to sell you Canadian dollars.)

So getting 500 USD from the ATM would cost you 658.93 CAD (based on a withdrawal of 503 USD because there's a surcharge to use the ATM). Getting 500 USD from the counter ten feet away would cost you 730 CAD.

Is it really worth 71 CAD extra to go inside? Especially when you can use any ATM right at Disneyland instead of getting transportation to Center City Anaheim?

Edited: 21 March 2018, 00:00
Mentioned in this post
Downtown Disney
Downtown Disney
8,118 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

thanks for the responses. Things are not easy for me as it seem.

lam from Pakistan currency and USD to local currency has escalated to 10% in 1 day due to some IMF repayment due and the rate remains volatile. However, rate with CAD has not changed much so that is why I wanted to make an assessment if I would save some money by getting CAD from here and converting into USD in US instead of getting USD locally. Further, things work differently here so if I use ATM to withdraw USD when I am there then my bank would charge me 3% plus the open market rate instead of interbank rates so getting dollars locally would be cheaper than using ATM. But it seems like CAD to USD coversion is also poor and it will not save me too much.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

Also, you don't need to wait until you are there, the US airports will have a currency exchange place. You can look at Euro's too in your scenario. As noted you will need to do a double conversion to get USD.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

It’ll probably be as cost effective to just buy US currency in Pakistan before you leave. By the time you pay to convert to CAD, and then pay again to convert to US, you’ll probably have hit that 10% threshold. You’re going to have to run some numbers but it seems like it is rarely worth it to try to beat a poor exchange rate.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

I don't know if there are still monetary sanctions against Pakistan (my appetite for news is close to naught at this point), so it may not be possible for the OP to buy US dollars.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $

The place with the best rates I know of in the area is in the Main Place Mall. But anywhere you go you will lose so use your charge cards as much as possible

http://www.orangecountycurrencyexchange.com/

Mentioned in this post
Main Place Mall
Main Place Mall
69 Reviews
Santa Ana, CA
Reply to: Converting currency Canadian $ to US $
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted