We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP, planning visit in June

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
HELP, planning visit in June

Hello Everyone. We are planning our first visit to Disneyland in Mid June. We need suggestions on where to stay and how to get around, we really don't want to rent a car, prefer uber/Lyft or shuttles. We would love to keep our hotel budget under $500 for the entire 4 days.

Quickly, here is a little about our trip:

My Husband and I are our 6 year old daughter are going. We are traveling from St. Louis, MO. We have been to WDW many times and adore it, but wanted to give Disneyland a try since neither of us have ever been. Usually when we go to WDW we stay on property for the transportation and extra magic hours but would be ok staying off property this time.

We also have annual passes to Universal Orlando, so we wanted to visit Universal Hollywood to check it out (we understand we have to buy separate tickets).

Would 4 days be enough? Arriving Monday: Tuesday in Universal and Wednesday in Disney and Leaving out Thursday......

Where should we stay? We would love somewhere that shuttles to both parks (if possible). We are excited and could use any advice possible about navigating the parks, California and any special gems. We know WDW and Universal like the back of our hand but California, we are blank. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
California
California
United States
20 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,756 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

Since you may not be aware of the travel time from Universal to Disneyland, right now at 2:15 pm, Google Maps shows that its a 1 hour and 48 minute drive to Disneyland (36 miles), and that time will increase as it gets later, so keep that in mind as you try and decide where to stay and how you will get around.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 05:17
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

Oh man, I didn't realize how long the distance between the 2 parks are. Geeessh, and ubering would probably be super expensive. We may have to rethink this.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

i trust you have read the hotel reviews on trip advicsor!!! after reading those, i would think you could come back with maybe two of your choices and ask us our favorite. there are too many hotels motels in the area to just ask us to pick one of the hundreds for a family we don't know.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

Is that $125 a night then? Including room tax?

One day is not enough for Disneyland. Two is better and three is best, especially if you also want to go to Disney California Adventure . (I can't tell because just said "Disney", which doesn't mean anything here.)

When asking about a shuttle to both parks are you asking about Disneyland and DCA or Disneyland and Universal Studios?

If asking about Disneyland and DCA, there is an entrance to Disneyland Resort on Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim and many hotels within walking distance. Once you enter DLR there is a wide Esplanade with Disneyland on the right and DCA on the left.

If asking about Disneyland and Universal Studios, they are far apart with miles of freeway between. Universal Studios is in Los Angeles County and Disneyland is in Orange County. No shuttle from one to the other, although there are tours.

Edit: Just saw your second post after I wrote this.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 05:36
Mentioned in this post
Disney California Adventure Park
Disney California...
13,616 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
31,248 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

I just got an Uber estimate. It's $56 one way from Anaheim. So, I suppose $112 round trip.

If you compare that to having a rental car and driving there from Anaheim, just the parking is $25 or $35 (depending upon if you stay after 6 p.m.). And, of course, a tour would be much more expensive. Note that either a rental car or Uber requires a child safety sear for your six year old.

You could work it out so you stay in LA a couple of nights and then transfer to Anaheim via Uber and stay there at least two or three nights.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 05:51
Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

Well Starline does a tour to Universal from Anaheim, but it is $167pp for adults and $145 for children so it would be more expensive than Uber. Might want to rethink either the rental car or visiting Universal which is really geared more toward tweens and teens.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

Do you know about the Knott's Berry Farm theme park in Buena Park? It's just 6 miles from Disneyland Resort and has been a Southern California favorite for over 75 years. Famous for its fried chicken meals and boyenberry treats, it's home to Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang.

The theme park began with a simple wild west town to pay tribute to the early pioneers and grew to add family rides and coasters.

During summer there is usually an ice show featuring world class figure skaters and Snoopy in the large Charles Schulz Theater. I've been trying to find out if that will be scheduled again (I think it wasn't part of last summer's entertainment due to the two leads retiring.)

Also during the summer they have added characters in "Ghost Town" portraying townspeople who interact with park guests. That is called Ghost Town Alive. You can find you tube videos of it on line. Late in the afternoon there us a hoedown that park guests can join in on and learn dance steps.

It will be easier to combine Knott's and Disneyland/DCA, if that appeals to you.

Let me know if you would like more information on Knott's.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 06:09
Mentioned in this post
Knott's Berry Farm
Knott's Berry Farm
3,832 Reviews
Buena Park, CA
Buena Park
Buena Park
Orange County, CA
California
California
United States
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

Here is the Knott's Berry Farm website.

https://www.knotts.com/play/rides

A little added information:

You can get to Knott's from the Disneyland Resort area of Anaheim Resort within less than a half hour via the Metro 460 bus that runs between them. (Extensive and frequent schedule.)

If you decide to stay in Anaheim Resort, consider using the Santa Ana Airport (SNA). It is closer than LAX. It is also known as John Wayne Airport and Orange County Airport. From there you can Uber or shuttle. If you want to avoid bringing a child safety seat, ask about a shuttle that supplies them. Or you can see if the Disneyland Resort Express coach will work with your arrival and departure times. This is not run by the Disney Company and will charge a fee.

If your budget is, in fact, $125 per night that is really low. Lately, though, we have been seeing people getting a low rate at Kings Inn. That is a far walk to the DLR Main Pedistrian Entrance, but the city has shuttles called Anaheim Transit Shuttles that run from hotels/motels to the DLR entrance. The charge is $4 a day.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 06:36
Mentioned in this post
Knott's Berry Farm
Knott's Berry Farm
3,832 Reviews
Buena Park, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Orange County, CA
John Wayne Airport
John Wayne Airport
Santa Ana, CA
Orange County
Orange County
California
Kings Inn Anaheim
Kings Inn Anaheim
2,661 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

Correction: Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) is $5.50 a day for adults and $2 a day for children.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP, planning visit in June

At the moment (4:55 p.m. on a Friday afternoon), it is showing 2 hours 11 minutes for the 36-mile drive.

Uber is a $2.10 flag drop, plus $0.90 per mile, plus $0.15 per minute.

36 miles x $0.90 = $32.40

131 minutes x $0.15 = $19.65

1 flag drop x $2.10 = $2.10

---------------------------------------

TOTAL $54.15

At a more sane time of day (let's say you go to Universal, have dinner at CityWalk, and go to Anaheim after the traffic dies down) it's about an hour.

36 miles x $0.90 = $32.40

60 minutes x $0.15 = $9.00

1 flag drop x $2.10 = $2.10

-------------------------------------

TOTAL $43.50

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Reply to: HELP, planning visit in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;