We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help with Itinerary

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help with Itinerary

Staying at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas March 13-20. We are 3 adults and 2 children ages 11 and 16. Will there be anything interesting for the kids? Also what is the weather like in March on the Island? wIll it be a distance from where we are staying and how do we get there? I know many questions but we are total newbies to the area. Any info would be appreciated. As we only have a week we don't want to waste anytime trying to figure out what to do while we are there.

Mentioned in this post
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Marriott's Newport Coast...
2,042 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help with Itinerary

Well weatherunderground.com can show you historic averages. And yes one can hike and zipline and go around on golf carts as well as snorkel and dive with wetsuits and there is some submarine boat ride

You can take the ferry from two spots to Catalina so do read the things to do section.

Mentioned in this post
M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help with Itinerary

There's great activities for kids that age. My favorite is the glass bottom boats. People these days like the zip lines. Avalon is a nice small town on the water where you can just split up and explore the town if that's what you need at that point of your vacation.

Look up the Catalina flyer, which is the boat that leaves from newport harbor. It's a shirt drive from the hotel.

Personally, I love Catalina but do not think it is worth the money or the full day out of your trip.

Mentioned in this post
The Avalon Hotel
The Avalon Hotel
703 Reviews
Catalina Island, CA
Catalina Flyer
Catalina Flyer
148 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
916 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help with Itinerary

The weather in Catalina in March can be very cool. The average temperature is 61.2..at night it can drop to a low of 48. The record high is 90 degrees so you could get lucky! I was there in September (the warmest time) and I needed a sweater in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help with Itinerary

Hi Extrom!

I like Catalina but, frankly, I don't think there anything much to do there that you can't see or do near where you are staying. I just don't think it's worth taking a full day out of your trip to go there in March. Too cold to swim.

Mentioned in this post
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help with Itinerary

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated. I think Catalina will be a pass this time around.

Mentioned in this post
Catalina Island...
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help with Itinerary

Check out www.catalinachamber.com or call 310.510.1520 and talk to a Visitor Services expert re Catalina Island!

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Need Help with Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2017, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Avalon