We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Any ideas quickest way or Most common, with out renting a car

10 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Quickest way is via helicopter

Most common way is via the Catalina Island Express

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Thank you ! I see trips from long beach I assume from lax as well?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Im not aware of any trips to Avalon based out of LAX

Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Don't know any LAX helicopters. I took it from Avalon to Long Beach when the boats couldn't run because of high seas.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
520 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Catalina Express (boats): http://www.catalinaexpress.com - Runs out of these ports: Long Beach, San Pedro, & Dana Point. (http://www.catalinaexpress.com/ports.html). The boat ride only takes about an hour, per Catalina Express' web page.

There are a variety of hotel/boat packages available, should you also need accommodation. Here are a couple of web sites to check out, if interested. www.visitcatalinaisland.com/hotels-packages - http://www.catalinachamber.com

Cheers! :D

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
879 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Are you already committed to LAX? It would be quicker to get to Avalon from Long Beach Airport. Just a short cab ride to helicopter or ferry terminal in Long Beach.

Of course, you can also take a cab from LAX to Long Beach. It will just probably take you longer to get through LAX than it would through Long Beach, then the cab ride will be a little longer.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
879 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Here is another thought if you want the quickest option... You could fly into Burbank (Bob Hope Airport) and take the helicopter from there. I haven't done this, but I rink the helicopters depart from the airport, so this likely would be quick to get from airplane to helicopter. This would be a more expensive helicopter ride, through, than one from Long Beach. See www.islandexpress.com for helicopter options.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Does the helicopter still fly from San Pedro Harbor? From LAX area we always take the Catalina Express from SP as its closer to us than Long Beach. The helo left from same port and was 15 min to Avalon.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
879 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

CAnative - good point on San Pedro. I think helicopters may still to Catalina from there, maybe just not everyday. And ferries certainly go out of there, just not as many as go out of Long Beach.

and other possible option - fly into John Wayne (Orange County) Airport and take a helicopter directly from there.

Catalina Island...
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax

Taxi, uber or shuttle to either San Pedro the Island Express Helicopter would be the fastest. All options here http://www.catalinachamber.com/get-here/

Reply to: What quickest way to get to Avalon from lax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avalon