We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caye Caulker or San Pedro

2 posts
Caye Caulker or San Pedro

A group of 8 of us are traveling to Belize in Jan 2025. We are a foodie group but also very laid back. Can anyone provide some insight on the food scene in Caye Caulkin?

17 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

I found it quite light. We planned 3 nights there and it was too much, we left early. I would recommend a day trip. There is a place on middle street called pasta per caso. Otherwise the place we went thinking it was local, large bbq sign out front, was ran by non-Belizeans. I watched a local YouTube she said there is only one store on the island that is Belize owned.

We did a food tour in San Pedro that brings you to 5 or 6 Belizean owned and locally ran businesses. Would highly recommend.

Edited: 05 April 2024, 19:23
2 posts
2. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

Thank you.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
18,241 posts
323 reviews
278 helpful votes
3. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

We've been to Caye Caulker 6 or 7 times, usually for a week or more at a time, and love the food. If you're looking for great fresh seafood and produce then you'll find it on Caye Caulker. Most of the restaurants are Belizean owned including our favorite, Wish Willy - a back yard barbecue with incredible seafood and sides. Lots of local breakfast places. We stay at a place with a kitchen so we can hit the fresh produce stands and buy fish from the fishermen on the docks and prepare some of our own meals.

If you are 'very laid back' you might find the streets slammed with golf carts and lined with souvenir shops in San Pedro Town off-putting. I can hardly stand it for the hour or so surface interval I spend there in the middle of some dive days. It's a relatively big island so you can sleep away from San Pedro Town to the north or south to avoid a bit of that but the shops and the majority of restaurants are still in town. It's definitely a bigger town, though, so you have more choices of hotels and restaurants.

It's great to have choices since - as you can see - different folks have different opinions. Here's the Trip Advisor list of Caye Caulker restaurants:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g291963-Caye_Caulker_Belize_Cayes.html

Here are a few local Caye Caulker websites with some insight for you.

https://cayecaulker.org/business/

https://famracc.wordpress.com/our-work/community-education-activities/caye-caulker-conservation/

"Most businesses are Belizean-owned and are small and friendly rather than large and impersonal."

"Aside from a few American and European expatriates, the island is owned and run by Belizeans (San Pedro is mostly owned by foreigners). This makes for a very cozy atmosphere and genuine Belizean hospitality."

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
18,241 posts
323 reviews
278 helpful votes
4. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

Oops - left out the link for the website from the last quote.

https://www.belizehighcommission.com/areas-of-belize/caye-caulker

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

I watch Gisellebze the realtors channel on YouTube. She mentioned the STORE ownership thing. When we bought groceries the stores were not ran by Belizeans.

I didn’t mean to strike a chord.

Edited: 06 April 2024, 20:21
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

Buying from fruit stands and directly from fishermen sounds like a great work around for that. Great tip!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
18,241 posts
323 reviews
278 helpful votes
7. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

One of the most fascinating, appealing things about Belize for us is the huge diversity of cultural groups. Most of the grocery stores in Belize are run by people of Chinese heritage. There are fairly large populations of people who trace their lineage to India, Mennonites whose people immigrated from Germany, Garifuna people who were forced onto ships in Africa that shipwrecked on islands where they intermarried with the local indigenous people, several groups of Maya people (not all indigenous to Belize), descendants of pirates from way back, expats from all over, and I believe nearly half of the population identifies as Creole. Most of the people in Belize are immigrants or descended from immigrants and many have lived there for generations and consider themselves to be Belizean.

In other words, we can't assume that the skin color of the person running the store or restaurant or hotel will tell us if it is Belizean-owned. :-)

Edited: 07 April 2024, 02:33
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
49 reviews
59 helpful votes
8. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

We are in Caye Caulker right now and heading to San Pedro in a week. The restaurants are amazing here and plentiful. So many Belizian bbq along the beach. Great happy hour drink specials and the water is so warm and beautiful! Went for a run today early and so nice running on hard packed sand vs pavement. I thought CC would be too laid back for me but I am really enjoying it and worry that San Pedro will be too loud and busy. We will see!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

Hopefulist i completely agree!

I live and work in a diverse area of the US.

I also find the rich history and culture of Belize fascinating and appealing.

However, i didn’t assume anything. If you read what i replied i watched a local woman comment on it and when i visited noticed that. Period.

I think we are here to offer tips not tear the other persons responses apart. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Caye Caulker or San Pedro

Gonna drop a link

https://youtu.be/1fe4irbz2Wk?si=tKXPjTYG3COqlmEQ

I am sure there are amazing restaurants.. please list names. I’m following and adding them to my list. 😉

Edited: 08 April 2024, 21:50
Reply to: Caye Caulker or San Pedro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.