We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BZE to San Pedro?

Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
BZE to San Pedro?

Hello all, just want to check my understanding with those of you who know this trip well. My research says it’s likely quickest and easiest to fly from BZE to San Pedro as opposed to water taxis. Am I correct in thinking there is no airline from the U.S. that will book you through all the way to San Pedro? That’s what it looks like but want to double check with you. I’m basically imagining a miserable time picking up checked bags in BZE (I do need to check bags) , going through immigration, customs, only to then go through security and check bags on a smaller airline out to San Pedro. Is that what it’s like? Maybe it’s not as miserable as I’m imagining? If that’s, the case, how much time should I allow between when my flight arrives into BZE and when to schedule a flight out to San Pedro?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

5 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
33,338 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: BZE to San Pedro?

I'm not aware of any airline that will book passengers all the way to SP.

After landing at BZE, passengers must go through Immigration, baggage claim and then Customs.

After leaving Customs, it's about a 1 or 2 minute walk to the check-in counters of the domestic airlines in the same airport.

If you can travel with carry-on only, that will reduce your timing through the airport because for me, waiting for luggage to come off the plane has always been the longest delay.

I always suggest to aim for a domestic departure time approximately 1 to 1.5 hours after your scheduled landing time at BZE. It has never taken more than about 45 minutes for me to get through Immigration, baggage claim and Customs, but depending on how many planes land at the same time, it could take longer, and Saturdays are busier days. The domestic airlines are fairly flexible about putting passengers earlier or later flights depending on their arrival time, so don’t worry too much.

It's definitely better than the alternative which is a US$60 20-minute taxi ride to Belize City, then getting a water taxi.

Edited: 25 April 2024, 01:39
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: BZE to San Pedro?

Gosh this is helpful! Thank you Misterb266!

🙏🏼

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
462 posts
208 reviews
267 helpful votes
3. Re: BZE to San Pedro?

We always fly Tropic Air from BZE to San Pedro. The most painful part of the process is immigration at BZE which you have to go through regardless of how you get to San Pedro. Saturdays can be brutal. But connecting to Tropic Air is a breeze. It is no more than 25 feet from customs. They will put you on an earlier or later flight with no issues if necessary. Then another 50 feet to go through domestic security which is a breeze & you’re in the departure lounge. Walk all the way to your right & that’s where the domestic airlines are. It sounds like a lot, but it is simple. Much better than a long ferry ride.

Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: BZE to San Pedro?

Again, so helpful! I feel reassured by you guys. Thank you so much!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
27 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: BZE to San Pedro?

I paid $20 usd from water taxi to airport. Use Viator to pre book shared shirtless if you are using the water taxi. Viator used locals companies like believe airport shuttle service or similar companies to book the shuttles

Reply to: BZE to San Pedro?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.