We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
611 posts
62 reviews
79 helpful votes
Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

I was looking at a rental option on Ambergris Caye through VRBO. We've reviewed this site many times, but have never actually rented through them.

Wondering if anyone has done this, and what was your experience?

There are some that do not accept reviews posted on the VRBO site, and others allow reviews to be posted. The one we are looking at has reviews, but I'm leary about those rentals who set their page to disallow any reviews by previous customers.

The one we are looking at is a lavendar/purple circular beach house on stilts, north of the bridge. Anyone familiar with this property?

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
73 posts
1. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

I just posted a review below for Casa redonda which was a VRBO property.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
338 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

Every rental is different because it is "by owner". We have rented several times through VRBO and have been very happy. I would not rent from someone that does not allow comments . . . I would even go so far to say I would not rent from someone that has only a comment or two--it is too easy to "fake".

Kansas
Level Contributor
687 posts
60 reviews
60 helpful votes
3. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

We've used VRBO on a number of occasions including Bermuda Landing in San Pedro. Never a bad experience.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

Same question recently posted:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291959-i1455-k4002899-l29207760-Vacation_Rentals_By_Owner_VRBO_com_website-Belize.html

5. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

What are forum guidelines?
Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

Have been renting through VRBO for years (mainly Florida.. but also NYC and Colorado). Always has been a good experience.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

since the properties on VRBO are all rented by the owner there obviously is no way for us to speak to the veracity of evryone on the site. we have rented twice and each went fine. you have a curious expectation.

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

My mom and step dad just did a nice vrbo in Florida and were very pleased.

Recess has a good point - worth making sure the place has good reviews and allows for guest comments.

Indian Rocks Beach...
5 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

I've used VRBO to find places in Florida and St Thomas, and been happy with the result. I can't speak to using it for San Pedro, as I've always gone to the respective hotel/condo website for that (having checked the place out on the previous trip).

Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: Anyone rented through VRBO? If so, what was your experience?

I would absolutely agree. We just did a VRBO and went with a beachfront property with no reviews allowed because the pics, the email from the owner, and all the details looked perfect. Well guess what - our beachfront idyllic home was about 2 feet from the main street in town. VERY VERY noisy. Reviews would have warned us.

Other than that, no issues with VRBO. Just be careful how you arrange payment!

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.