We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringin the booze

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bringin the booze

How much alcohol, if any, can we bring into Belize City and then on to Ambergris Caye? The official website says 1 litre per person but I've also found contradicting information. Is it better to purchase in the US duty free or in Belize duty free prior to customs?

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
8 replies to this topic
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
8 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringin the booze

Hello: I see no one answered your question but maybe you can answer mine. 10 of us are going to Placencia from ATL - via Belize City. We'll fly on Maya air. They do not limit how much we can bring on the plane. Our question is about buying duty free in Belize City airport. Can we get it there? And do you have a sense on how prices are versus state side duty free? We're also going to be looking for diet Tonic Water. Do you recall if the duty free in Belize carried that? Thanks so much if you can help.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
719 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringin the booze

Nope no one did answer me! And we’ve not gone to Belize yet, our trip is in april. In general when traveling I’ve found duty free to be a little pricy but usually the country you land in has rules about how much you can bring. I’d imagine they would have the common mixers readily available, if not at the airport then surely in a store

Unitedville, Belize
Level Contributor
213 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringin the booze

Liquor and wine, at the duty free shop after you clear Belize Immigration and before you clear Customs, is considerably cheaper than in stores country wide.

Each person can buy six 750ml bottles. You have to show boarding pass and passport.

If you buy at duty free in Belize, you'll have to go through the declare line and show purchase and receipt.

We usually bring one bottle of liquor into Belize, declare it, and have never had to pay duty.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,383 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringin the booze

I’ve read that the duty free will pack that six bottles of liquor to fly with to Ambergris. I’ve also read that you need to be able to get it into your checked luggage. You won’t be able to just carry it through security.

Availability varies at that store. If you have a specific brand of liquor, you are best off bringing it with you.

Grand Marais...
Level Contributor
929 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringin the booze

As stated above, the Airport inbound duty frees are considerably cheaper then any local store.

Prices in the duty free are on a par with stateside liquor prices, (comparing to MN prices).

You can bring in 1 liter PP duty free to BZE and then get more at the duty free. I left my rum at home this trip (due to weight of checked bag) and picked up 1 at airport. On a 2 wk trip, wish I'd have grabbed at least another.

Wine is horribly expensive, and quality is always circumspect in the tropics. On Caye Caulker right now, we spied a bottle of Apothic Red here for $45BZ ($22.50 US) that is a $5-7 bottle at home. So if you're wine drinkers, be sure to check that out in the duty free. The wife always brings 3 Liter box of wine, (Black Box), (might be why my checked bag was so heavy! Actually the boxed wine is a great way to travel as there is no glass weight to the packaging.)

Mentioned in this post
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl...
Belize City, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,502 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
676 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringin the booze

Your best bet is probably to buy the booze at the duty-free store in the arrival area of Philip Goldson International Airport. You can buy I believe four bottles at decent prices on arrival and take it with you to your destination in Belize. This is in addition to the liter you can bring in. I believe you have to pay with U.S. dollars at the duty-free shop -- either cash or credit card. You'll see the shop on the left in the arrival area.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Denver
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringin the booze

Declare EVERYTHING you bring in. We bought a few bottles of wine and 1 bottle of rum, at the airport Duty Free. It was priced very well. It will be the best deal you will find in Belize. EVERYTHING is very expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,383 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringin the booze

Everything isn’t very expensive in Belize. Eat local. Don’t buy imported foods. You can get a nice chicken dinner for US$5.00. At happy hour, a bottle of beer for US$2-2.50. Rum drinks can be had for US$2.00.

You want a margarita? Yes, it will be expensive. Tequila is imported and expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Reply to: Bringin the booze
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belize City