We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Save Topic
Where to stay?

Hi, I’ve never been to Belize before and I’m having some trouble figuring out where to stay.

We would be flying into Belize city and don’t want to have to travel more than about 2 hours.

We’re a group of women in our 20s looking for nice beaches, good food, possibly wild life and hopefully fun bars (doesn’t have to be a big club or anything, just somewhere fun with drinks)

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
5 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

You won't find what you're looking for in Belize City -- Ambergris Caye is the place for you.

After landing at the airport, either get another flight to San Pedro (the town on Ambergris), or taxi to Belize City and get a water taxi to Ambergris. You can find wildlife on the mainland -- do a daytrip to the Belize Zoo ot the Community Baboon Sanctuary.

Another option is to stay at Placencia (for the beach, food & bars), and do a trip to Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary.

Mentioned in this post
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,629 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,900 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Good advice above. You could also consider a day trip to the Lamanai Maya site which includes a boat trip up the jungly New River (monkeys, crocs, lots of birds); the Maya site is beautiful, you can climb the temples, and we saw toucans, tarantulas, and lots of black howler monkeys there.

Mentioned in this post
Lamanai Belize Tours
Lamanai Belize Tours
373 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

I just returned from my first trip last week. I went to San Ignacio and Caye Caulker. Enjoyed both places. I would have also liked to visit Placencia and Hopkins. Caye Caulker is much slower and smaller than Ambergris (more developed and more golf cart traffic). Don’t recommend staying in Belize City, locals warned us about gangs and kind of sketchy at night.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,431 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

I just returned from my first trip last week. I went to San Ignacio and Caye Caulker. Enjoyed both places. I would have also liked to visit Placencia and Hopkins. Caye Caulker is much slower and smaller than Ambergris (more developed and more golf cart traffic). Don’t recommend staying in Belize City, locals warned us about gangs and kind of sketchy at night.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,431 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

I’m in my 60’s and find Caulker too slow paced. I honestly think most 20 somethings would prefer Ambergris. There’s just so much more going on, and, so many more options for music and entertainment.

Reply to: Where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted