We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks/Rays

Chaffee, Missouri
8 posts
Save Topic
Sharks/Rays

How deep is the water where the swim with Sharks/Rays is done? We have one adult timid swimmer who is not comfortable in deep water even with a life jacket. Trying to find something water related that is just "walk off the beach" or shallow water.

8 replies to this topic
Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks/Rays

Are you talking about Shark Ray Alley near Ambergris Caye? The water there is not very deep, maybe 10 feet. It is often combined with snorkeling at a spot named Hol Chan, where you snorkel across an underwater canyon which goes to about 30 feet deep. The trip needs to be done by boat, but you remain close to the shore as the reef is not very far out.

Mentioned in this post
Shark Ray Alley
Shark Ray Alley
965 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks/Rays

Where are you staying? There are different options in different areas, a few places with walk in snorkeling, and different versions of shark swims. The main one -'Shark Ray Alley' - would be very intimidating to a swimmer who isn't confident in my opinion. It's not only too deep to stand up but the water is teeming with big fish.

Chaffee, Missouri
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks/Rays

We are actually coming on a Ship. It's hard to plan around their schedule. This is our first cruise. We've always stayed on land & could plan what we wanted around our own itinerary. Walk in would be preferable for sure.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks/Rays

I don't think you'll find walk in snorkeling from a cruise ship and certainly not at a shark/ray place. Good luck!

Chaffee, Missouri
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks/Rays

Yeah, the port area looks anything but inviting. Any where a close taxi ride?? Water or land?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks/Rays

There are snorkeling options and mainland options. I've heard popular mainland stops are the Belize Zoo (very cool), cave tubing, and Maya sites - maybe Cahal Pech and Xunantunich in western Belize, Altun Ha nearest the port, or Lamanai in the north. I don't know much about cruise ship timing but the western and northern trips are long enough I've heard folks recommend using the ship's tours so they'll wait if you're late returning.

Lots of transport links here including names of private drivers: www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Mentioned in this post
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,650 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
709 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Xunantunich
Xunantunich
1,170 Reviews
Cayo, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Lamanai Belize Tours
Lamanai Belize Tours
382 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks/Rays

Perhaps the better solution is booking the glass bottom snorkel boat, so those who want to be in the water are and those not comfortable wet, are comfortable and able to see marine life below.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks/Rays

That's a fantastic idea, Katie!

Reply to: Sharks/Rays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;