We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

An Expedia package I almost bought has flights from LAX to BZE and Isla Bonita Yacht Club on Ambergris Caye as a complete package. I realize that BZE international airport is 73 KM from the hotel. Expedia could NOT explain how that made sense and after a 20 min wait to get clarification, the agent just hung up on me. I called the hotel three times but nobody answered and sent to email but a day later, I still don't have a reply.

I see there is a ferry; but that is three hours in itself and then there is transfer from the airport to the ferry which will make an 8AM or even 11AM return flight a challenge. I assume there are local flights from BZE to local islands. Do I arrange my own flight from BZE to local airport on Ambergris? Is that how everyone else get there?

Is So, and on a different note, I generally try to avoid these "local" flights. Are there any merits to staying at an alternative hotel /resort nearer the airport if our main interest is in good diving? My wife is an experienced diver with many world class diving destinations already scratched off her list. This is my birthday gift to here but I personally know little about Belize and would appreciate if someone familiar with the area commented on this. I have read quite a bit on the forums but still do NOT know what to choose here as a base for 6 days of diving. I was settled on Ambergris Caye until this bump of getting to it from BZE.

Mentioned in this post
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl...
Belize City, Belize
Isla Bonita Yacht Club
Isla Bonita Yacht Club
98 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
6 replies to this topic
Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

I agree with your decision of staying on Ambergris Caye. Your other options are Caye Caulker (a smaller, quieter and more laid-back island), and staying in Belize City (not recommended).

There are 2 ways to get to Ambergris:

1) get a 15-minute flight with one of the 2 domestic airlines: Tropic Air or Maya Island Air. Schedules & fares are on their websites, and you can fly from the International airport (BZE). The town on AC where you fly to is San Pedro. Quick and easy.

2) Taxi from the airport (BZ$50 or US$25 and about 20 minutes) to one of the water taxi terminals in Belize City. The water taxi is a lot cheaper than the flight, but not everyone likes it (more like a water bus). Both services have websites with schedules & fares, and images of the boats (more like speedboats that huge ferries). The water taxi trip is about 80 minutes each way.

A variation on option 1: taxi to the smaller Municipal airport in BC, and get a cheaper flight to AC.

If you want to go to Caye Caulker, you can only use the water taxi because the runway is closed right now.

"I assume there are local flights from BZE to local islands."

Currently, only to Ambergris Caye. The runway on CC is closed.

"Do I arrange my own flight from BZE to local airport on Ambergris?"

You can book your flight through the website of the airline.

"Is that how everyone else get there?"

Some prefer flying. Some prefer water taxi. Up to you depending on your priorities.

If you want to avoid transport to the cayes, you could stay in Belize City -- I think there are some dive operators based in the city. But BC is not the nicest place to stay, and I wouldn't recommend it. Nor do I know any resorts in the city, only a couple of large hotels like the Radisson or Ramada.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,450 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Belize City, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

Here are links to the two Belizean airlines...

a) Maya Island Air, http://www.mayaislandair.com/

b) Tropic Air, http://www.tropicair.com/

And links to the 2 water taxi services...

a) San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi

In Belize City, this service operates from the Brown Sugar Market at 111 North Front Street, a few hundred metres from the Swing Bridge.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

b) Ocean Ferry Belize

In Belize City, this service operates from a terminal on North Front Street beside the Swing Bridge.

http://www.oceanferrybelize.com/

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi
San Pedro Belize Express...
291 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Ocean Ferry Belize
Ocean Ferry Belize
191 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

MisterB266,

Thank you for taking the time to write a well detailed list of alternatives. It is very much appreciated. It seems the better options in Belize eliminate the possibility of one flight and one transfer. We are not lazy; it is just that we do that all the time with Maldives, Thailand, Bali and and other exotic more distant diving destinations, but this time I was hoping to have opted for something simpler and quicker.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

I think you may be misunderstanding the logistics of getting to San Pedro. You can easily get the transfer flight from BZE to San Pedro and return to BZE directly for your departure...even if it is at 8AM. There is no need to transfer to another airport or to the water taxi at all.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Belize City, Belize
Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

The easiest way to get to Ambergris is to fly to the International airport (BZE), go through Immigration & Customs and walk several metres to the check-in counter of the domestic airlines (Tropic & Maya Island) in the same airport. Get the next flight and you'll be on Ambergris Caye in 15 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Int Airport to Ambergris Caye

The only way to avoid a transfer is to stay in Belize City.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Reply to: Int Airport to Ambergris Caye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted