We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car desk staying open late at Goldson airport

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car desk staying open late at Goldson airport

I have a rental car reservation for 5 PM at Avis in the international airport for next month, but my flight doesn't land until 4:35 PM. By the time I clear customs it will be past 5pm when Avis says it closes. What are the odds of the desk staying open past 5 to wait for me to pick up the car? Should I try renting through one of the other agencies who stay open until 6pm instead?

4 replies to this topic
Unitedville, Belize
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car desk staying open late at Goldson airport

Contact Avis?

Denver
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car desk staying open late at Goldson airport

We walked out of Customs at 5:03. Avis was closed. Another agency next door called, and spoke to the Avis agent. She said she would be there at 0830 the next morning. We returned at that time, and they were not open. We rented from Hertz. I think they all share the same cars.

Yes, rent from another that might be open until 6.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car desk staying open late at Goldson airport

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was worried about, even though Avis said they would wait.

Denver
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car desk staying open late at Goldson airport

Avis and all the US based rental companies were closed when I arrived at 5:05 pm. Jaribu (a.k.a. Belize Car Rental) was the only rental company still open. Jairbu tried to convince us to rent from them, eventually claiming that Avis and all the US rental companies had already rented out all their cars, and Jaribu was our option for getting a car in the next few days. That claim was untrue, and based on other Trip Advisor discussions of Jaribu/Belize Car Rental, I'm glad we didn't rent from them. We took a cab into Belize City, stayed the night, and took a cab back to the airport the next morning. At 8:30 am, Avis was still closed, so we rented from Hertz.

Edited: 29 January 2018, 05:59
Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Reply to: Rental car desk staying open late at Goldson airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted