We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize City Day Trip

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Belize City Day Trip

Hi

we are visiting Belize City for a day whilst on a cruise in the summer and have read that it is not safe. Has anyone been and recommend what we could do for the day. There will be 2 women travelling with there teenage children. We were originally thinking of getting a taxi to the zoo but when i have been researching there have been mixed reviews with people recommending the you do not go out on your own but to book an excursion.

Any recommendations would be grateful.

thank you

Dawn

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
3 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize City Day Trip

I really love that unique little zoo. I think the main reason for recommendations to book through the cruise (other than the cruise people wanting your $$$) is because the boat won't wait if you come back late unless they set up the trip. That shouldn't be a problem with a zoo visit with a reliable operator. There are some names of private drivers on this website to get you started: www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize City Day Trip

You'll be fine in Belize City in the daytime. I've lived in BC and on cruise ship days, more police on patrol. You still have to always be aware of your surroundings and stay on the main streets where there are lots of other people.

The Belize Zoo is a good idea if you like zoos. It is safe to get a taxi. It's about 45 minutes to the zoo, and you can see it all in less than 2 hours. I don't know what a taxi driver would charge -- I'd guess around US$100 if you also ask him to wait while you see the zoo. Several tour operators will be waiting outside the Tourism Village (where you come ashore), so walk around and ask for some prices. Going by bus is another (cheaper) option -- let me know if you want more details.

If you want to see more of Belize City, just ask the taxi driver to drive you around for a half-hour -- that should be enough. Several times, I've posted a typical walking tour of BC. It includes the Belize Museum, House of Culture, St. John's Church. You could probably find it if you do a search.

Edited: 01 April 2018, 04:07
Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,676 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
Belize Tourism Village
Belize Tourism Village
487 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize City Day Trip

Here's a typical walking tour of Belize City...

In the downtown area, the Swing Bridge is a good place for orientation – it’s a short walk along North Front Street from the Tourism Village where passengers come ashore. Along the way from the Tourism Village to the Swing Bridge, there’s the Image Factory (where there might be an exhibition of some sort), a library, and some restaurants.

From the Swing Bridge, walk south along Albert Street (this is the main shopping area in BC) to St. John's Cathedral. Behind the church, see the House of Culture, and return along Regent Street to the Swing Bridge. Along the way, see the Bliss Institute and the Supreme Court Building.

From the Swing Bridge, walk north along Queen Street. At the corner of Queen Street & Daly Street, Nerie's Restaurant has a good Belizean menu without the "gringo" prices. Farther along Queen Street, turn left onto Gabourel Street for the Museum of Belize Museum/former prison. Walk out to then along Marine Parade (a map would be helpful) to Memorial Park then to the Baron Bliss Lighthouse, and return to the Tourism Village. I’d suggest referring to a map of the city that shows the exact locations of everything.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Belize Tourism Village
Belize Tourism Village
487 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
Museum of Belize
Museum of Belize
211 Reviews
Belize City, Belize