We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In-town or Jungle Lodge?

Western Springs...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
In-town or Jungle Lodge?

My husband and I plus our two college-aged kids have three nights in the San Ignacio area. We plan on doing some adventures during the day, and thought it would be fun exploring the town of San Ignacio in the evening. We don't plan on having a rental car, so does it makes sense to stay in the town of San Ignacio? Is there decent lodging in the town that we could walk to a nice restaurant/bar? Or should we experience a Jungle Lodge that I read so much about? We would like to book either two hotel rooms or a two-bedroom suite/villa, so our budget could be up to $500/night.

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Crystal Paradise Resort
Crystal Paradise Resort
#2 of 22 Speciality lodging in San Ignacio
Casa del Caballo Blanco
Casa del Caballo Blanco
#3 of 22 Speciality lodging in San Ignacio
GumboLimbo Jungle Resort
GumboLimbo Jungle Resort
#1 of 2 Speciality lodging in Georgeville
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In-town or Jungle Lodge?

Wow - that's quite a budget! I prefer jungle lodges but they do make it more difficult to come and go and eat at a variety of place.

Here's our favorite jungle place: www.belizecamp.com

Here's a great value place we liked that is across the bridge from San Ignacio in a neighborhood in Santa Elena:

www.aguadabelize.com

Check out www.belizefirst.com and www.belizeexplorer.com for more ideas.

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,240 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In-town or Jungle Lodge?

Take a look at San Ignacio Resort Hotel. Walkable to town, but, not right in town. Good restaurant on site. Steep hill to walk back up to the hotel, but, certainly managable.

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
1,163 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In-town or Jungle Lodge?

I've lived in a jungle, so I prefer to be in town close to restaurants, grocery stores, bars, banks, library, market, whatever, and it's not a bad town for wandering.

But one day & night might be enough for you, so why not split your stay between town & jungle? Stay a night in town and a couple of nights at a lodge. Some people might complain about the packing & moving, but I always travel light and packing is not really a problem. Would you rather return home regretting not doing something because you didn't want to pack & unpack again?

Western Springs...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In-town or Jungle Lodge?

Very true, MisterB266! I feel like we should really experience the jungle!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In-town or Jungle Lodge?

I would opt for a jungle lodge and there are more than a few that'll work for you in this area, some with two bedroom suites

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
221 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In-town or Jungle Lodge?

Try both

Clarissa Falls, Martz Farm, Cool M and many others offer a great time while Tia Maria and many others offer something in town. Read the reviews on TA for good feedback.

For adventures try the Caracol trip or horseriding to Xunantunich.

There are also many caves worth exploring.

Mentioned in this post
Xunantunich
Xunantunich
1,170 Reviews
Cayo, Belize
7. Re: In-town or Jungle Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2016, 13:17