We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

Houston, Texas
11 posts
Save Topic
Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

Traveling with 7ppl including a toddler and the more I read the more I’m confused on where to stay. I hear the best activities are the Arenal Volcano and the Antonio National Park but they are so far apart from each other. We original were going to do an all inclusive resort due to their being so many of us. Need guidance please !!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Volcano National...
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
20 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

We had Arenal and Manuel Antonio as some of our stops, one after the other. Considering how long it might take in CR to get between two points it was not that bad of a transfer. We travelled with a shared shuttle van of Interbus, with a couple scheduled stops for washroom, snacks, souvenirs on the way. About 5.5 hrs total. Not a big deal at all.

Arenal and Manuel Antonio are two areas often combined in CR itineraries like this one - https:/… .

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
893 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Interbus
Interbus
379 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

Where you stay partially depends upon which airport you travel into. Explore flights first to see which is better. Look for flights that land early and leave late in the day. Otherwise you may have to stay near the airport your first and last nights.

The distances between ideal locations may be a few hours but you can arrange for a private driver for a group your size. You can easily combine Arenal with at least one other location if you have a week. If you have longer, three or more locations may be possible.

There are very few all-inclusive resorts in Costa Rica and they don't offer a genuine experience. You can find good food everywhere and local transportation is easy to arrange. you can also stay at hotels with on site restaurants and other amenities.

First, arrange flights, then locations and hotels. It's easy to piece together everything without relying on the few coastal all-inclusive properties.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
893 Reviews
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Houston, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

Thank you so much

Houston, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

Well this is perfect info to know. Had no idea we could do both excursions in one day

Thank you again

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

I think you misunderstood me. You cannot do both of these places in one day They are not excursions; they are destinations. You would want to have at least two full days, preferably three or more, in both Arenal and MA. There are hours of travel from either airport to each and between the two. If you just stay at one hotel in Costa Rica you will get only a tiny glimpse of the country.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
893 Reviews
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Houston, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

LOL. got it. Yes thank you.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

If you check out the itinerary in my earlier post here, you would have a better idea. If the two destinations are often combined in one trip, it means in a week or so. You go to an Arenal/La Fortuna area hotel, then you spend 5-5.5 hrs transferring to a beach hotel, like Manuel Antonio/Quepos, stay there for the rest of your nights. Each location would allow for its own outings.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
893 Reviews
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
546 Reviews
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Quepos
Quepos
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

Which airport would you be flying into?

Houston, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

Well... I was thinking Liberia however now that I realized all/most excursions are HOURS away, I can now save some money and fly out of San Jose. My only concern is having a toddler and the excursions being so far away, I wa hoping to stay close to everything no matter the cost. But from my understanding everything is far

Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!

There is no single place that you can stay and get a varied experience in CR. Even with a small child, two locations should be possible if you have a week. The day trips would be more exhausting that a half day of travel (at most) between one destination and the next.

You can take short drives from both Arenal and MA and do many great activities once you're situated in each area.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
893 Reviews
Reply to: Costa Rica travel advice PLEASE!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted