We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boating on Lake Arenal

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Boating on Lake Arenal

We are staying in Nuevo Arenal in April and would like to spend a few hours one day on the lake. Just a relaxing float type activity. Is this activity worth doing if we want to see birds and other creatures? What are the names of the companies that provide that service? We are spending two weeks exploring all of Costa Rica, so we will see a lot of animals and birds in many of the places, but just wondering if a day or a few hours on the lake would be a worthwhile activity. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Arenal
Nuevo Arenal
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
4 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boating on Lake Arenal

The lake is beautiful to look at but I have not heard great things about boating on it. If you want to see wildlife while on water, I recommend a Cano Negro boat tour or Safari Float. Enjoy the lake views but actually going out on the lake would not be a highlight of your trip.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boating on Lake Arenal

Thank you! I was thinking that might be the case, but since we were staying so close I thought I should check. I think Cano Negro is an ideal suggestion!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boating on Lake Arenal

In addition to having access to everything in the Arenal area, we also did a day trip to Rio Celeste when we stayed at the lake. We stayed at La Mansion Inn for six days one December - very relaxing.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Celeste
Rio Celeste
1,339 Reviews
Tenorio Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
La Mansion Inn
La Mansion Inn
1,184 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boating on Lake Arenal

Good to know. We definitely have Rio Celeste on our itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Celeste
Rio Celeste
1,339 Reviews
Tenorio Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Reply to: Boating on Lake Arenal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted