We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental advice?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental advice?

My wife and I are traveling to Costa Rica in about a month's time. We've got a few 4x4 quotes. The companies range from the established chains (Budget, Thrifty, etc.) to local companies. The lowest quotes came from Service and Tricolor (both local companies). Is there any risk in going local? Adobe and Mapache are both about $200 more expensive for a 9-day rental. Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental advice?

The problem some times dealing with local companies is in case of a dispute...it will be virtually immposible to get any money back from them..

If you dealt with a local company ...try to find one that is well stablished and with many years in the local market...some mom and pop rent a cars are the worst...4 car fleets and most cars 150,000 miles...and management that only God knows where they are from!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental advice?

I live in Costa Rica and I've not heard of Tricolor or Service so I'd be careful-sometimes that saved money isn't worth it. All of our clients use this company: http://www.renta4x4incostarica.com and they have new cars and great customer service. They also meet you with the car at the airport and their prices are good-they'll give you a quote up front so you know all of the costs ahead of time. One thing I would HIGHLY suggest is that if you're renting a car here you get the GPS. It's usually only an additional $7 or $8 a day and worth every penny! :-) Enjoy!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental advice?

Tricolor and Service are both well-established and have been recommended many times on this forum and others. Tricolor usually rents cars that are not brand new so can usually rent for less. Aside from these two or Mapache, I would be wary of any other local company.

4. Re: Car rental advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 12:18