My gf and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica & Panama in Jan/Feb. We are 24/25 years old and are looking for adventure, sightseeing, culture, and history. We are looking to do some hiking, diving, spend time at the beach. We're trying to figure out our itinerary and limit our destinations so we don't spend most of our time traveling from place to place. We are having some trouble so here are the first of our questions:
- We are thinking of spending 7-8 days in Panama and the rest of the time in Costa Rica. Does this sound reasonable?
- After doing some research, the destinations we want to see in Panama are Panama City, San Blas, Bocas/Bastimentos, and Boquete. Which of these places can we skip in order to save time? Is Boquete similar to Monteverde in Costa Rica? Could we see just one of these and not the other?
- San Blas: would it be best to tour it by boat or stay on one of the islands? How many days do we need there?
- What are the must-sees in Costa Rica? Is it worth going to Corcavado if we're on a budget?
- Would it be less touristy/expensive to river raft in the Chiriqui or Pacuare river?
- What places do you recommend for scuba diving?
Thanks for any and all help you can offer. Happy Holidays!