We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Anyone there now who can report on the following?

Are your rooms repaired?

Do elevators work?

Are pools working?

Are all power restored and sewage systems working?

Is the pool bar up and running?

Are all the restaraunts open?

If anyone is there now and can report I would appreciate it.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

I would like to know the same as well.

Somewhere in MD
Level Contributor
31 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Me too. I am scheduled to visit in October for my honeymoon.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

I am flying in and should be there by Saturday. It is for my honeymoon and was really hoping to cancel after all I am seeing but we cant and I just cant afford to let all that money go so we are going to have to tuff it out. I will try to post if wifi is available over there or if not when I get back into the states on the 20th. I was trying to keep a positive outlook because if the hotel isn't in the best condition we can at least spend all day lounging on the beach, but now checking the weather there is supposed to be thunder storms which makes me worried.

You would think that if there is a natural disaster like an earthquake you should be able to cancel flights and reservations, but it sucks we live in a society where companies can get away with not refunding you because of things like this. Especially for working class folk like us who dont just have enough money to reschedule etc.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Nathan, I will keep my fingers crossed that at least the weather will be good to you. And staying out of the room in Costa Rica is easy as this is one beautiful country. Enjoy your honeymoon. Next time you will travel buy travel insurance. Money paid and not used is the best spent money.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Well its funny because afterwards I bought it just in case something happened again. But I saw a news report about a couple that left and they had the same travel insurance I bought and they were saying that since the hotel was just saying it was cosmetic damage they are not entitled to receive a refund and rather than cut their vacation short they should have stayed. I just hope it all works out.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

I think you will have a great time! Book some good tours.. I booked with Freddy Moterro info@costaricaprivatetours.com www.costaricaprivate tours .com He was really great and informative and gives awesome private tours. He is very good at getting back to you in a timely manner, is insured, and takes credit cards.

Hope the weather is good for you!!!

7. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 21:49
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Nathan, first of all congratulations! Certainly hope things will work out and that you'll have a great honeymoon. Information from the ground will be appreciated by many so we will be looking forward to objective updates.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Nathan A, companies don't "get away with not refunding". It's either covered in the policy or it isn't. If it is, they pay. If it isn't, they don't. It's up to you to read the policy before you buy it and determine if the coverage is what you need. If you didn't, that's unfortunate. But don't blame the company for actually abiding by the contract.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Guanacaste AFTER the quake..how is it

Update..I called the general Riu number who called the hotel.

The following things according to them at this moment and time.. are operational

-all pools working

-all bars operating..including the previously damaged swim up bar

-all restaruants open with full menu selection

-rooms that are being assigned have been repaired, they are continuing to repair a few others

-buildings that have been inspected for structural safety

The team from the Riu Palace have exclusively been devoted to mass repairs on the Riu Guanacaste. You will probably still see many workers..fixing plaster and other various cosmetic damaages but the basic operation of the hotel is fully functioning without interruption of serivce.

There you have it.. hope it helps. Still awaiting confirmation from clients there NOW to confirm it...well because it just makes us all feel better. If I hear more I will post!