We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake atitlan in April?

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lake atitlan in April?

Thinking of heading to lake atitlan in April, but I hear the weather in lake atitlan in April is not great, the air all hazy from milpa burning such that the volcanos are obscured, and the land brown and dried out as it is the end of the dry season, such that it's not a good time to visit. is this really the case? Hope not, but thought I'd pose the question here

14 replies to this topic
california
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lake atitlan in April?

Thank you for your posts.

I am planning a head for 2019. I've been wanting to go to Antigua for the Semana Santa festival.

Would you say to visit Lake Atitlan in early April or just miss the festival and come to Guatemala at a time when the lake and surrounds will be better.

Thank you so much

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
651 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lake atitlan in April?

If you are going to Antigua for Semana Santa don't miss Lake Atitlan. It is not that far. Once, when we were there in March for 3 days, we could hardly see the volcanoes so you do need a bit of luck. Even so, it was still pretty and you can still visit the different villages and markets.

I guess it depends on how important it is for you to be there for Semana Santa. Although I would love to see it I have not yet been to Guatemala at that time. I have been in November, December, January, February and March. November-December was great. January-February was nice too.

I bet after seeing Antigua and Lake Atitlan you will want to take another trip to Guatemala anyway! It is an amazing country and there is a lot to see: Xela, Nebaj, Semuc Champey, Tikal and Yaxha...

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
651 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Semuc Champey
Semuc Champey
1,060 Reviews
Lanquin, Guatemala
Yaxha
Yaxha
323 Reviews
Peten, Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,856 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lake atitlan in April?

We've enjoyed Atitlán in the spring. It's true it can be browner and the visibility can be affected but the trails aren't muddy. :-)

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lake atitlan in April?

I have been at the lake in March and would view it as a good month to go. I do not stand with the crowd that thinks it doesn't matter if it is the rainy season or the dry season. I see no reason for anyone who has a choice to go in the rainy season. It makes everything much more dangerous for one thing. Easter is April 1 this week and for my money, the entire previous week is to be avoided. I would either get the visit done by March 25 or so, or come on April 2.

Reply to: Lake atitlan in April?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted