We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray dogs

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Stray dogs

Hi guys,

I am planning a one month trip for Spanish immersion in February. Lake Atitlan is the location that keeps coming up in my search. My only issue is the stray dogs. Last year we ran a lot of them while traveling through Chile and Argentina and since childhood due to an unfortunate accident I have a phobia of stray dogs, so it made parts of that unpleasant. I will be by myself in this trip and I wonder if anybody can give me an insight on this issue ? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
655 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
12 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Stray dogs

I spent a week in San Pedro in Jan 2017 -- visiting San Marcos and San Juan for a few hours each as well -- and there were stray dogs everywhere, all friendly or totally disinterested in me. There was some mild begging (which I gave into rather a lot). Dogs on roofs barked at me a few times as I passed by, and I did hear dogs barking at night. If you are afraid of dogs in general -- ie, whether they are "aggressive" or not -- I think you will have a rough time on Lake Atitlan, honestly. If you are cool with them as long as they don't growl, bark. act threatening, etc. -- you should be okay, though of course there's always a chance you might encounter that one dog.... Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
655 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Guatemala
Level Contributor
5 posts
678 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Stray dogs

Sounds problematic; even though dogs have owners they wonder about during the day and may return to their homes at night, others are stray dogs, so there is a lot of unleashed dogs in Pana and in just about any indian town. They are very used to people so they will not even bark at you, opposite to the ones in the yards of their owners which can startle you with their barking.

Reply to: Stray dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted