We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation when wandering outside of Atitlan

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation when wandering outside of Atitlan

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in a previous post, my husband and I will be spending two months in Guatemala, starting this coming January. We will be basing ourselves out of Lake Atitlan during that time, but would like the flexibility to wander to other areas of Guatemala on the weekends.

We don't want to rent a car at the airport that will just sit in a lot for most of the time, so would prefer to get a rental near Lake Atitlan as needed for excursions. I looked and can't find any car rental agencies in or close to the lake - does anyone happen to know the best area to find one? It needs to be feasible and cost effective for us to get to the rental agency from the lake by either walking, taking a shuttler or tuk tuk.

We would prefer our own car so we can wander at our own pace, but we are also open to shuttle / alternative transportation recommendations if you feel strongly about anything. Right now, high on our list are Antigua and Semuc Champey (but we suspect we'll want to travel off the beaten path a little too).

No concerns about driving in Guatemala as my husband drove last time we visited and has driven in many similar countries.

Thanks for your help!

Indu

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
655 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
1 reply
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation when wandering outside of Atitlan

It might be cheaper and easier to take share shuttles to really popular destinations like Antigua and Semuc Champey. There are long range bus options to some places, too. Sorry I can't help with rental info - we've never been tempted to rent in Guatemala.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Semuc Champey
Semuc Champey
1,063 Reviews
Lanquin, Guatemala
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Reply to: Transportation when wandering outside of Atitlan