We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs

Manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Dogs

After seeing the stunning images of Lake Atitlán we’ve been looking at getting married there. However, I’ve researched lots of hotels and so many of them seem to have dogs. Are there any hotels that don’t have pets? I’ve been looking at the more expensive places yet am still seeing dogs in the pictures or reading reviews that say there are dogs. I’m just not an animal person (nothing against those who are) and wouldn’t find it relaxing having dogs around on my wedding day or whilst having some quiet time in the sun. I understand that there’ll be dogs out and about and accept that but having four legged friends in hotel grounds just isn’t my idea of luxury!

6 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs

If you don't have a tolerance for dogs you will not enjoy Lake Atitlán. Even if you found a dog-free hotel, you would have to spend all your time in your hotel, because there are many, many loose dogs in the street, dogs in the restaurants, etc. Same thing in Antigua, same thing in Xela.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs

You might look a some of the pricier options, but a lot of places allow pets.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs

Essentially if one cannot deal with animals, one should avoid Central America entirely. Roosters can be especially annoying. You have places that have rats, and so have cats to deal with rats, and then dogs to keep the cats from getting too comfortable. And so forth.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs

I have another opinion on the matter. I would ask the property you are considering to make it a part of your contract to exclude dogs from the property for your event. In reality this should not be a problem that can not be overcome. If the owner balks, he losses your business. I would also include a financial penalty to the owner if the request is not honored. Withhold 25% of the payment until after the event as a bargaining tool. Just a thought.

Manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dogs

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ve found a hotel that we like that doesn’t have dogs (Casa Palopo) so now I just have to decide whether I can cope with all the strays out and about around the lake/towns! Do they tend to be quite docile/keep to themselves or are they quite friendly and attention seeking?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dogs

they keep away as they are usually mistreated

Reply to: Dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted