We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight hike volcano Lake Atitlan

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Topic
Overnight hike volcano Lake Atitlan

Hi all,

As I'm planning my trip to Guatemala I would love to get some advice on the following. I understand that it's possible to sleep on top of San Pedro volcano. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I book this in advance? Do you need to bring your own camping stuff or is there a camp site on top of the volcano?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
2 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight hike volcano Lake Atitlan

San Pedro is usually a day hike and I haven't heard about overnight camping trips. I believe the entrance fee for the day hike includes a guide. You can ask about camping on top when you are there. You would have to find a tour operator with camping gear. I would not hike up San Pedro and camp at the top without a guide.

But if you want to do an overnight volcano camping trip choose volcano Acatenango (from Antigua). It is a tough hike but amazing. Great views and you will see Fuego erupt. Go with a reputable guide or tour operator. It can get very cold at the top. Guides and tour operators have tents, sleeping pads and sleeping bags. Our tour operator even had winter coats for us. You should also be acclimatized.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight hike volcano Lake Atitlan

When we've climbed Volcán San Pedro we've passed locals heading up with gear to camp. I don't know what the rules are but I think you'd need your own gear - I haven't heard of any tour providers who offer an overnight trip with gear.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Reply to: Overnight hike volcano Lake Atitlan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Atitlan