We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying property or house / condo ?

Ontario
Level Contributor
723 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buying property or house / condo ?

How careful must one be when entertaining such an idea ?

11 replies to this topic
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

Extremely careful, Lots of horror stories out there, research the people dealing with , ask people around the area you are considering, spend time renting before investing.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

Don't forget a really really good lawyer who understands Honduran law.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

Yes Nomadic, that is what I was trying to get across by suggesting to research those you deal with, Do you have any advice on finding a "good lawyer"

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

Bought a condo couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it and the process for sure a good lawyer is a must, which we got it. A good real state guy is important, stay away from rockies

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
688 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

Pm me if you want some truthful answers and recommendations of good lawyers. I'm on property #3 right now and starting to build house # 3 on island. If you expect the process to be similar to what you'd expect on Canada or US, walk away as this island may not be the best choice for you.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

If you are looking at condos, look closely. Not all buildings in the same complex are the same, nor are all units the same. Many have "quirks," depending on when the buildings were built and by whom. Check with neighbors. Many condos are set up as rentals before they are "purchased," so you could, technically, go stay in a place that caught your eye and do a "dry run." Check plumbing, ceilings, roofs, cisterns, HOA fees, etc. And yes, a GOOD lawyer is a must.

Good luck!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

"Yes Nomadic, that is what I was trying to get across by suggesting to research those you deal with, Do you have any advice on finding a "good lawyer"

Why didn't you say it then? Use you words George, like a big boy.

Cold Brook, New York
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

You should spend time on the island before you make a decision. Island life is definitely different than you may think. If you decide to build get more than one quote and expect everything to take longer and cost more than quoted.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

We just bought property. Work with an agent that you trust, get recommendations from reasonable people, and expect it to take longer than in the States. Some people aren’t cut out for island life, but if you are able to manage your expectations you will be fine. Talk to a lot of people currently living there, and take off your rose-colored glasses.

Roatan is absolutely gorgeous.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying property or house / condo ?

Faithie, In suggesting to research the people you are dealing with, Lawyers are included, certainly no one is so uninformed they would not know they would be dealing with lawyers when buying property , especially in a foreign country. I used one Real Estate person for one purchase, The other 5 were all just between myself, my lawyer and the landowners,

Reply to: Buying property or house / condo ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted