We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
41 reviews
Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

We have been to Roatan twice and LOVED it! However, we want to try something else. Have you been anywhere that would be similar? Cheap (nice!) accommodations, great food!, "chill" feel, things to do, like hiking, scuba, etc.

We are me and my husband (late 40s, active).

Thanks so much!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
41 reviews
21. Re: Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

No, it is not! We were there 15 years ago and stayed at the campgrounds. It was wonderful and cheap, but I am not a "camper" anymore (haha!).

Fort Atkinson, WI
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
22. Re: Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

Check out Stoneyhill Cottage in Antigua. Privacy, reasonable, wonderful hosts, and 365 beaches which are gorgeous. Lots to do and see, if you want to stay busy. We loved it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
42 reviews
23. Re: Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

Aitutaki in the Cook Islands is AMAZING!!!

Think; French Polenisia but at 1/4 the price! :)

Snorkelling, diving and deep sea fishing is the best I've ever seen!

Local "Island Nights" with Umu BBQ and hula dancers can't be missed.

Drive around the island in 45 mins on your scooter!

Stay in a hut over the water (or on the beach) and have the vacation of a lifetime!

The flight is the most expensive part... but if you can get to LA for cheep, then it's not so bad (Air New Zealand, and you are treated like 1st class even in economy!)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
41 reviews
24. Re: Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

We are booked for October 13 - 21 in Bocas. Can't wait! Thanks Trip Advisor for the suggestion!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
255 posts
167 reviews
25. Re: Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

This is a great thread -- thanks to all for the tips!

Hopefulist was a truly helpful TA'er on a recent trip I took to Belize/Tikal, so nice to see you here :-)

St. John is great but NOT CHEAP unless you want to camp. And while airfare to STT was once reasonable from ATL, it has become ridiculous despite competition on the route.

Bocas is great too. Friendly, chill, doable on a budget; can fly there from PTY or SJO.

I've been dying to go to Providencia & islands. *sigh* one of these days, as long as it doesn't get overdeveloped in the meantime.

Full disclosure: I don't actually get to Roatan until next week, but I'm always planning for that next trip :-)

new haven
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
26. Re: Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

we went to Bocas last year- it was great, but I think more than a few days might be too much. If you get antsy, you can easily take a shuttle over to Puerto Viejo, CR- takes about 3 hrs.. Some of the beaches around there are amazing and we ate very well.

27. Re: Next trip: Is there anything similar to Roatan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 19:16