We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West End Specifics

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
West End Specifics

Hello! I'm flying to Roatan in less than two weeks and can't wait for my first visit. Can you please help me with a few questions?

If I'm thinking about staying at the north end of Half Moon Bay, is there any dining/drinking establishment I can safely walk to/from in the dark?

Does the answer to that question change if I were to stay at Sueno or Splash Inn? :-)

This is one for someone with boots on the ground now - I know there was some noisy paving work going on earlier this month. Is that still going on? If so, is there a beachfront/beach-view West End hotel that wouldn't be impacted by the noise/smell of the paving project?

Any other low-season concerns regarding establishments? I already know AKR is closed while I'm there, and per an earlier post, Smuggler's.

Thank you in advance!

Kat

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West End Specifics

Hi Kat. I live in the north end of HMB and I walk daily by myself through the area. I carry a flashlight at night so the potholes don't trip me but I also don't carry a big purse. I have never felt unsafe in that area. Several of the hotels have watchies that pay attention. The road work has been completed and they lay concrete so no odour.

No change in answer from me if it were Splash Inn or Sueno , though Sueno is further along the road in the opposite direction.

Cheers

Bonnie

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West End Specifics

Excellent -- thanks so much, Bonnie!

KATL

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West End Specifics

Another question -- what's the north end of Half Moon like early-mid October? Quiet? Lively?

Just wondering...we stayed at a very nice hotel once, but had the place completely to ourselves for two nights. While the hotel service was top-notch, the overall experience of being the only guests was a little creepy. I don't necessarily want to do that again.

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West End Specifics

Might very well happen again in October. Things are slow and it'smostly divers here so they're gone all day.

Funny isn't it..some folks would give anything to be the only guests and other folks not so much ;)

Enjoy!

Bonnie

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West End Specifics

I have stayed in that area twice... even in Jan/Feb/ March it is quiet and goodness me do I love it... a short walk and you are in the heart of West End. Truly the best of both worlds.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West End Specifics

LOL - I know, right? :-) I was dead-set on staying in that part of the island until I realized just how quiet it was this time of year. Not saying I've completely ruled it out yet -- just trying to feel things out. I am sure I will have fun no matter where I stay.

7. Re: West End Specifics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 18:17