We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan safety

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Roatan safety

TRAVELER TO ROATAN, HONDURAS BEWARE

On Jan 2nd, 2014, MY HUSBAND, MYSELF AND THREE CHILDREN WERE SHOT AT AND ROBBED AT GUN POINT WHILE RETURNING FROM A BEACH RECOMMENDED TO US BY ONE OF THE RENTAL COMPANIES LOCATED INSIDE THE PORT, MAHOGANY BAY.

While on Carnival Conquest, we stopped in Roatan, one of the ports. We rented a car and followed the recommendation of the rental agent on where to go.

We were returning from the beach and were on the access road to from the main road to this beach.

Out of the woods comes this criminal and points his semi-automatic weapon at us while standing in the middle of the road. He immediately begins to shoot at our car as we're driving up this hill.

My husband having nowhere to turn, puts the car in reverse to try and get away. He crashes the car on the side of the hill and we are stuck. The gunman runs toward us with his gun. My husband gets out of the car. When the gunman reaches my husband, he gets whatever cash he finds in my husband's pocket, $40, and demands more.

He looks in the car and sees my IPhone 5. I was trying to call for help. He demanded my phone, camera, and my daughter's iPhone. We gave it to him. I was actually relieved because I really thought we were going to be kidnapped or killed. Valuables he took can be replaced.

After he got those items he ran off.

Please be careful when traveling there.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan safety

It is good that you came through this intact. How frightening this must have been.

Rental agent advice aside, most recommendations guide visitors to completely avoid driving any type of vehicle or scooter, suggesting instead that one hire a driver for the day.

Additionally, as in any place you might travel, stay to the established and recognized tourist zones. If you wander off the beaten path, looking for adventure, one is likely to find it.

On Roatan, if venturing beyond the Cruise Ship wharf, take an established tour, do the West End, one of the suggested attractions. Where you drove off to (from what I can gather) is the North Side, far East... an area that is relatively untravelled by any outsider- a place which most locals avoid.

Roatan and other Caribbean islands lull us into a false sense of complacency. We're on vacay and everybody is on an adventure. It is no different than any other part of the world. Stay in the tourist zones and be aware of those boundaries. Anywhere I have gone, it took some awareness, but these lines were fairly apparent. For less attuned travelers, again- stay with the tour.

I assume the car rental guy really raked you over for the vehicle damage. Hope not!

This in no way is to minimize your experience, but here on TA and other places it has been said 1,000 times before- be aware, stay mainstream, go with the group, be a tourist.

2. Re: Roatan safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 14:18