We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Utila for 3 months

4 posts
Save Topic
Coming to Utila for 3 months

I will staying with my 17 year old son on Utila from July 2018 till mid September and I have a few questions. I will be doing instructor training and so I was wondering if it will be easy for him to get about and make friends with others his age, maybe even local teenagers. We're travelling from the uk both with an android phone. I read in an earlier post about corista sim i think it was called and i was wondering if this can be purchased on Utila and will it be compatible with uk phones? I want to be able to send texts to my son and allow him to be able to contact me if needs me. Has anyone travelled alone with their teenage son here before? TIA

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
7 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Utila for 3 months

I would imagine your son will tend to gravitate towards the young European backpackers who are on the island for diving instruction, many of them are in their late teens and early twenties,

there are a couple of different local phone companies, you can buy sim cards for either on the island. They make calling and texting inexpensive. they run promotions each week or so, an example would be: buy minutes on a certain day and get 2 for 1 minutes.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Utila for 3 months

Just to be clear, there will be hoards of young people (pretty much 50/50 male female) from all over the world, moistly European (does that include Brits?), in town, but they will all be older than your son. Not by much, not so much it would matter. But he will be the baby. What is he going to be doing while you are training? There's not a lot to do in town other than dive and hang out. In the morning I assume everyone else will be in class or on a boat.

I took my son to West End Roatan twice while he was in college and he immediately disappeared into that sea of young trainees, not to be seen again except on the morning dive boat. He did make the flight home, but I was nervous about that. I wouldn't worry too much about where he is, since he can't get far on foot. It's probably more important that he be able to contact you.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Utila for 3 months

So i can get these sims in a local shop? Do you know if theyll be ok with unlocked uk phones?

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Utila for 3 months

I was hoping that he would be able to just help out / hang out around the dive centres and do little jobs, not for money but as a volunteer but ive been advised that this is given to locals. So spoke with a school to see if he could do any volunteering there and they said they always need help so that may be an option. He's a shy 17 year old British boy and will be out of his comfort zone on Utila but I'm hoping it will give him a life experience.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Utila for 3 months

The Bay Island Conservation Association might welcome your son as a volunteer https://www.facebook.com/BICA.UTILA/ That would let him met people.

I don't know about unlocked UK phones, but unlicked phones bought in Canada worked fine with local cards.

A rental bicycle would be useful in allowing him to get around more.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Utila for 3 months

Clare, I assume that he can dive. If not he can get certified. He'd meet people and have that in common with everyone else on the island.

The whale shark people are always looking for volunteers, www.wsorc.org. Maybe he'd get to see something for free that people go to great lengths and expense to see. Whale sharks are so beautiful and completely different that they could inspire him.

I agree that a bike would be convenient even if most are single gear fat bikes.

Edited: 17 April 2018, 23:33
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Utila for 3 months

Sim cards for an unlocked Uk phone shouldn't be a problem, I use Claro phone service and have always been happy but there is also Tigo.

I agree the whale shark researchers are usually looking for interns as are the people at the Iguanna research station. he should look them up online and email them before you arrive as spots are limited.

Reply to: Coming to Utila for 3 months
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted