We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore diving

Vernal, Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Shore diving

I enjoy everything about shore diving. diving on my schedule, not having to stay with a group, Freedom to spend time on what interests me. And above all it's very inexpensive. My question is there a reef around Utila that makes shore diving possible? If so, how many dive sites are accessible from shore?

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
6 replies to this topic
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore diving

problem 1... the shore is pretty much inaccessible except the southeast shore and in town

problem 2...there is little to nothing to see within swimming distance from the town

problem 3 ...finding a shop that will rent you tanks

problem 4... transporting tanks, how far can you carry them?

problem 5...by far the best sites are around the east and north side, accessible by boat, and you might see whale sharks on the way

problem 6...diving costs are already rock bottom, so you can't save much

So if you do manage to find tanks,, you will be missing almost all the sites that make Utila diving great

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore diving

the south shore has 16 marked dive sites, all are within 50' of shore. the only issue is getting to the south shore unless thats where you are staying.

there are also 3-4 marked sites 50-100' off of the area around bando beach on the east end of town.

the north side sites are hard to get to without a dive boat. however you can kayak through the lagoon and the old coconut canal to rock harbor, there are two marked sites there on the wall that runs across the entrance to the rock harbor bay.

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore diving

It's doable. I've seen divers go in at Coral View, which gives access to a couple of sites used by dive boats. There is also a free boat shuttle to Neptune Beach Resort, which allows access to three or four more sites used by the dive boats.

Mentioned in this post
Coral View Beach Resort
Coral View Beach Resort
65 Reviews
Utila, Honduras
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore diving

gjmerrell- have you ever been to Cayman Brac? We just returned Saturday and while my diver husband did only boat diving (his preference), shore diving has become very popular there. I apologize if you already know this. We had a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Dallas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore diving

Bonaire is totally shore diving -- incredible diving and well marked to drive to all the sites.

Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore diving

Utila nor Roatan will give you that freedom to shore dive like you can get in Bonaire/Curacao/Grand Cayman. Honduras is completely different diving best enjoyed by boat. I have done all 5 but go there based on what type of diving I am looking for

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman