We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone Services in Tegu

San Francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cell Phone Services in Tegu

I'm going to Tegu's for a short trip next month and need to be able to contact my family back at home. How can I go about obtaining a temporary phone to call the states?

Thanks,

Karina

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone Services in Tegu

Cell phones are not available for rent, but you can buy a cheap pre-paid phone, and then add minutes as necessary. Tigo and Digicel are sold all over the city, so just go to a shop when you get here. Calls to the US are pretty cheap from a cell phone, so this is the best way. It costs about 10-15 cents per minute for calls to the US from a cell phone with Tigo. Digicel is a newer company and might have better rates.

Rochester
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone Services in Tegu

We are headed to central america soon and are looking for a cell phone that might cover Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Is this possible or will we need to purchase one in each country?

Greg

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone Services in Tegu

Sorry, I am not sure, but I think that if you explain what you want when you purchase, you might be able to get roaming. But what gives me doubt is that I'm not sure if you can get roaming with a prepay phone, or if that service is only available with contracts.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone Services in Tegu

abbcc,

What you can do is purchase a prepaid phone from TIGO/CELTEL. Since they have service in Nicaragua and Honduras you can use the same phone but you will need to change the chip. I think the chip is like $10.00

So your number will change.. but at least you have a phone that works.

For Costa Rica i believe the cell company is a state run company so TIGO does not have service there.... you will probably have to buy another prepaid phone there..

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone Services in Tegu

Chicarunner,

You can get cheap prepaid phones for like $10-$20 with Digicel and the other two companies are TIGO and Claro.

Rochester
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone Services in Tegu

Thanks for the info.

7. Re: Cell Phone Services in Tegu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Tegucigalpa