We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Returning to Honduras (Tegucigalpa) after 30 years

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Returning to Honduras (Tegucigalpa) after 30 years

I have read there is more crime, and the roads have changed (will probably have someone else drive while there) . Any recomendations on places to go or see? Thanks. Am going in July.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Returning to Honduras (Tegucigalpa) after 30 years

Yes, unfortunately crime has risen a lot - but that said, you can avoid it by being smart - don't walk around after talk (take a cab even to go a short distance) and pay attention to your surroundings. Having a driver is a good idea because there are many more cars on the road than 30 years ago, and they all drive like lunatics.

The downtown area has been cleaned up in the past few years, and is a nice place to visit. The Museo de Identidad Nacional is a relatively new museum that is well-worth visiting, and while the Galeria de Arte Nacional and the Museo del Hombre Hondureño aren't new, they are also nice to visit.

Colonia Palmira has many nice restaurants - I like Mangosteen - and Pupuseria El Patio I think has been around since before you left Honduras, and is still great.

You can also find guidebook info online at:

moon.com/destinations/…discover-honduras

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Returning to Honduras (Tegucigalpa) after 30 years

Thank You for your info. Yes, El Patio was there before I left. I will have to check out the musuems, though.

3. Re: Advice on Returning to Honduras (Tegucigalpa) after 30 years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2010, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Tegucigalpa