We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Canton, Honduras

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
77 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
El Canton, Honduras

My daughter is going to be working on a water project in El Canton, which I think is somewhat near Tegucigalpa, so I'm posting in this forum. The State Department website suggests a rabies vaccination. Is that really necessary? Anything anyone has to offer on this subject or El Canton in general would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Canton, Honduras

I'm sorry but I've never heard of El Cantón. I've never heard of anyone getting a rabies vaccination for that matter, and I've been in Honduras for four and a half years now. Look in Yahoo Groups for Honduras Living, and try posting your message again there, you may find someone with knowledge of the area.

Bethlehem...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Canton, Honduras

My son and his group left for El Canton today, they had to get Hep A vaccine, Malaria and typhoid shot but not rabies.

Bethlehem...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Canton, Honduras

My son and his group left for El Canton today, they had to get Hep A vaccine, Malaria and typhoid shot but not rabies.

Escazu, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Canton, Honduras

Are you talking about El Cajon? This is the main hydroeletric power plant and dam in the country which is about 100 miles from Tgeucigalpa. Do you know where they are staying?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
77 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Canton, Honduras

Thanks for all your replies! I'm pretty sure it's El Canton. I don't think it's very big. She's going with Global Water Brigades. Is that what your son is doing kathleen k? I would love to know how it went.

Thanks again everyone.

MO
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Canton, Honduras

El Canton is in El Paraiso relatively close to Tegucigalpa. Don't put too much faith in the State Dept. website.

Bethlehem...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Canton, Honduras

My son was on a Public Health Brigade with Global Brigades. He was there with the TCMC crew. He just returned home last night and said they had a wonderful time, and that he wants to go back again. They were responsible for laying concrete floors, building an eco stove and building a hygiene station in a family's house in El Canton.

Please let me know how your daughter likes it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
77 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Canton, Honduras

Thanks so much for posting about your son's excellent experience! It's very reassuring. I'll let you know how it went with my daughter's group.

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
786 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Canton, Honduras

We're volunteering in Copan, and the Canadian organization required a rabies vaccination, though the travel doctors who actually provided the shots were skeptical that it was necessary.

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: El Canton, Honduras

My daughter is there now through Boston University. No Rabies vaccination were given to any of the students.

Get answers to your questions about Tegucigalpa